Chrome shower pipe

Hand tightend to 5 oclock and that's it. Need to get it to 6. Can't put a pipe wrench on it don't want to mark it up. Is there something made for this or a trick using a pipe wrench and leather or something else?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I would try this, just to get to 6 on the clock..

-- Oren

Oren

Yes, you may be able to wrap leather around it.

If that doesn't do it, fin d a rod which will fit tightly in the pipe ID and use that to lever it into the correct angle.

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Yeh I just thought of that DUH! Guess I'll have to spend some energy and take the shower head off heheh.

Thanks

Reply to
Fjiluk The Hogfish-Beater

Pull the shower head off, if not already off put the handles of your Chanel locks inside, then turn it .

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Unscrew the pipe & either retape or add more tape to the threads........it will seal up on the "previous" 6 o'clock under hand torque alone.

cheers Bob

or use the channel lock handle trick :)

Reply to
BobK207

Have you seen strap wrenches? Usually a plastic handle with a rubber strap. The strap circles around the thing and goes into a slot in the handle. Turning one way doesn't work but the other way it tightens the grip the harder you turn. Years ago they had cheap looking ones, but a couple years ago, I got two sizes in what seems like very heavy duty (considering it's plastic) Even if you get a cheap one, if you're careful the worst that it can do is break.

like this:

$36 Harbor Freight has them I think, but the page won't display for me.

I haven't used this but once, but I like the idea of plastic better. Seems less likely to scratch, and they're very cheap.

Reply to
mm

Yup, alternately, I have a strap wrench with a plastic strap an aluminum handle, that should not mark up chromed steel. Either should work, just use what you have handy.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I went almost 360 by hand from proper position and yes it had tape on it but it leaked. 4 kids use the shower so they constantly mess with the shower head so the pipe need to be tight.

Reply to
Meat Plow

$36

I have a Harbor outlet near me, going to take a trip there today, thanks.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I didn't have tools with me last night but another poster mentioned to shove something up the inside of the end pointing down. I have a 3/8 sockey extension that will probably fit but thanks for your input.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Chanel Locks, that's how us Plumbers do it

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

On an ornamental chromed pipe?

Reply to
Meat Plow

$36

They are the best thing since sliced bread. (Say, what used to be the best thing BEFORE they came out with pre-sliced bread?)

They are tanfastic for getting screw top lids off of jars, even ones I've stored left over paint in for a couple of years.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

All it takes is a rag in the jaws to avoid marking it -- although I certainly have seen a lot of jobs where obviously either channel-lock pliers or a pipe wrench were used directly -- mostly in commercial installations where one would presume the work was a "pro"...

--

Reply to
dpb

A pretty thick rag, I think. I've seen things get scratched right through a rag. In fact I've fallen and drawn blood from my leg without even damaging my pants.

Reply to
mm

This may be too tight for that. I think I need to take the shower head off and turn it by hand the rest of the way. I didn't want to break the plastic head off last night, it's one of those big sunflower looking things. If it won't turn I'll shove my 3/8" extension in it and that should do the trick. If it were mine not my girl's it would have got wrenched. I need to replace mine in the basement shower as my son broke it off this morning adjusting it. It had to be week because it broke off inside the adapter sweated on the 1/2" riser pipe. He had to take his shower with just the stream out of the adapter :)

Reply to
Meat Plow

Well, it presumes at least a modicum of care is taken and, yes, it takes more than a single layer of t-shirt. I normally use an old wash rag or similar...

Reply to
dpb

Get some black electricians tape, or even duct tape. Wrap chome pipe with several (4 - 5) turns, apply pipe wrench. Unwind tape.

Old plumbers trick, long before strap wrenches.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Salvage some strip on rubber inner-tube 1 X 12 inch or so. Wrap around and pipe wrench it up, or channel lock pliers. Save to strip in the plumbing bag for later use.

-- Oren

Oren