Chrome shower pipe

Page 1 of 2
Hand tightend to 5 oclock and that's it. Need to get it to 6. Can't put a pipe wrench on it don't want to mark it up. Is there something made for this or a trick using a pipe wrench and leather or something else?

I would try this, just to get to 6 on the clock.. -- Oren

Yup, alternately, I have a strap wrench with a plastic strap an aluminum handle, that should not mark up chromed steel. Either should work, just use what you have handy.
nate
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 19:36:10 -0700, Oren wrote:

I didn't have tools with me last night but another poster mentioned to shove something up the inside of the end pointing down. I have a 3/8 sockey extension that will probably fit but thanks for your input.

Some morning I wish I had a sockey extension when getting dressed. It gets harder reaching my feet every year.
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 02:34:03 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

heh
Meat Plow wrote:

Yes, you may be able to wrap leather around it.
If that doesn't do it, fin d a rod which will fit tightly in the pipe ID and use that to lever it into the correct angle.
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 22:54:09 -0400, Speedy Jim wrote:

Yeh I just thought of that DUH! Guess I'll have to spend some energy and take the shower head off heheh.
Thanks
Speedy Jim wrote:

Get some black electricians tape, or even duct tape. Wrap chome pipe with several (4 - 5) turns, apply pipe wrench. Unwind tape.
Old plumbers trick, long before strap wrenches.

Pull the shower head off, if not already off put the handles of your Chanel locks inside, then turn it .

Unscrew the pipe & either retape or add more tape to the threads........it will seal up on the "previous" 6 o'clock under hand torque alone.
cheers Bob
or use the channel lock handle trick :)

I went almost 360 by hand from proper position and yes it had tape on it but it leaked. 4 kids use the shower so they constantly mess with the shower head so the pipe need to be tight.
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
Chanel Locks, that's how us Plumbers do it
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 05:27:06 -0700, Sacramento Dave wrote:

On an ornamental chromed pipe?
Meat Plow wrote:

All it takes is a rag in the jaws to avoid marking it -- although I certainly have seen a lot of jobs where obviously either channel-lock pliers or a pipe wrench were used directly -- mostly in commercial installations where one would presume the work was a "pro"...

A pretty thick rag, I think. I've seen things get scratched right through a rag. In fact I've fallen and drawn blood from my leg without even damaging my pants.
mm wrote:

Well, it presumes at least a modicum of care is taken and, yes, it takes more than a single layer of t-shirt. I normally use an old wash rag or similar...

Salvage some strip on rubber inner-tube 1 X 12 inch or so. Wrap around and pipe wrench it up, or channel lock pliers. Save to strip in the plumbing bag for later use.
-- Oren
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:34:38 -0500, dpb wrote:

This may be too tight for that. I think I need to take the shower head off and turn it by hand the rest of the way. I didn't want to break the plastic head off last night, it's one of those big sunflower looking things. If it won't turn I'll shove my 3/8" extension in it and that should do the trick. If it were mine not my girl's it would have got wrenched. I need to replace mine in the basement shower as my son broke it off this morning adjusting it. It had to be week because it broke off inside the adapter sweated on the 1/2" riser pipe. He had to take his shower with just the stream out of the adapter :)