Christmas morning with hot water heater

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 28 Dec 2011 05:50:46 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Every chimney I've ever been associated with had one. Both chimneys on the old house I grew up in, the chimney in my first house, the one in my wife's first house, and the one in the house I now own. And every house I've ever worked on for my friends.. Mabee it's a "canadian thing". About 4X6 inch lift-off door at the bottom of the flue - most often to the inside of the house - but I've seen them on the outside of a chimey as well.

Watch out code changes, chimney's may have to be lined before using for anything!
On 12/26/2011 7:15 AM, Robert Macy wrote:

fuck a bunch of code! They should be lined regardless.
--
Steve Barker

Going the gas route will save you quite a bit of operational cost if you use alot of hot water. . If your old electric HWH was at least 10 years, it is time to get rid of it in any case before it REALLY springs a leak . If you want to go the cheap and quick route, you could go with another replacement electric HWH but put a 24 hour Time Clock on it so you allow the HWH to operate ONLY during times of your hot water needs, and off all other times. Youll notice a good saving going this route too.

Where's the evidence that a timer on a hot water heater saves enough in energy to make it worth it? How water tanks lose heat very slowly. Electric ones are the most well insulated because there is no flue running up the middle. If it made much difference, don't you think this would be std in electric water heaters by now?
If your utility has lower rates at night, then I've seen water heaters put on timers or seperate meters to take advantage of that and it can save $. It heats the water at night, when rates are lower. But a timer to turn off the water heater over night isn't going to save enough to make it worth the trouble.

I live in NJ and remember those. Not sure if they still do it. But it was interesting that they had it way back then. Kind of an early version of the smart meters where they can have various rates now for different time perisods.
Only problem was frequent power