Christmas light hardware/software

I'm thinking about starting a grand mess of lights for next year and putting them to music like so many are doing now. What i don't know is where to start. Who sells the hardware and software, how do you know which stuff is the best to have, etc?? Any and all input and links are appreciated.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

These folks have a huge range of gear and I noticed that a number of people featured on TLC use their equipment.
http://www.lightorama.com/index.html
I am comtemplating doing the same thing next year
--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem