Chorine on vinyl liner

I have a black/brown stain on my IG pool's vinyl liner. One of the solutions I've come across online involves dropping a chorine tablet on the stain, leaving it there awhile then moving it it to another part of the stain. I've considered trying this but am wondering if a chlorine tablet can possibly do any damage to the vinyl liner. Any thoughts? thanks in advance

Reply to
Pete

chlorine will probably eat anyting but vinyl as that is what the liner is made of... the stain you have might be the vinyl braking down.. do you really want to get rid of the stain??? you might then have a hole where the stain was....

Reply to
jim

This sounds like rust or possibly mold. The vinyl liner is intended to be in constant contact with chlorine in the pool water so it would be unlikely that putting some on a spot would damage it. If you have any doubt test it in a small out of the way place. I doubt that it will have much effect on the stain if it is rust. Oxalic acid (Zud) is effective on rust as well as a salt lemon solution especially when exposed to sunlight. Any method needs to be kept damp to be effective.

Polyvinyl-chloride is inert to most common household chemicals but the additives (plasticizers, uv inhibitors, fungicides, etc.) may not be. If you leach out the plasticizers it will become quite brittle.

Regards,

John

Reply to
JTM