Choosing which polyurathane varnish

Both Ronseal and Dulux sell a solvent based polyurathane clear varnish.

On the Dulux website they say their polyurathane is a 'trade' varnish.

Is there anything to choose between the Ronseal and Dulux products? What I'm looking for is the hardest wearing matt finish that is fairly easy to apply. It's for a table top surface.

Grateful for any advice on which is the best product to go for. Thanks.

Reply to
john hamilton

------------------------------- Can't comment on either of the above; however, since you are in the UK, take a look at Epifanes, available at marine chandeliers.

This is a favorite of the marine industry and while it contains UV inhibitors for exterior service and you have an indoor application, that's NBD.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The tradesman who polyurethaned our floor recommended gloss (two coats, I think), followed by matt (or satin). This produces a surface that is both hard-wearing and looks good.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Then don't use polyurethanes, use an acid-cure formaldehyde resin. This is harder and clearer, with much less yellow to it. Rustin's Bar- top is the well-known UK one. This is heatproof too, and they also do it for floors as Floorcoat without the heat-resistance. That works on tables too.

It's a two-part, but easy to work with (it's not epoxy). Stinks when applied, but this dissipates after a couple of hours. It's very quick to work - hard in a few hours.

It comes in gloss and semi-matt. If you want it duller, then let it harden and 0000 wire wool it a day or two later.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Rustins Liquid Plastic. According to the datasheet on their site, it is still the good old flammable toluene formulation but, on the Axminster site, is is shown in a plastic container. I'm sure it always used to come in a metal can.

Reply to
stuart noble