Choosing Furnace Efficiency

No, comparing a high efficiency with my old unrated burner. That makes the percentage higher. As I said apples/oranges

Right, that is why the OP has to run the numbers for his situation. Few houses in the north can be heated for $500 a year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The WH shares the same pipe. The proposal for the super high efficiency furnace calls for a new PVC tube through the roof, some sort of coaxial thing that also brings down combustion air. It's a ranch with the roof only maybe 6 feet or so above the ceiling level at that point.

BTW, the old unit is 90,000 BTH/H input. The proposals match that for regular furnaces including two stage burner/fan but 80,000 BTU/H for the super HE.

Reply to
Big Giant Head

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 09:44:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote in Re Re: Choosing Furnace Efficiency:

Ok, that makes sense now.

Reply to
VinnyB

The OP's furnace has a cracked heat exchanger and must be replaced so the only question is should the OP buy an 80% or 96% furnace.

The difference is 16% fuel savings...period.

Your numbers and your old unrated burner isn't relevant here. Gawdamn, are you related to trader4? Sheeeesh!

Reply to
Just Joe

In the last 20 years I have never spent $700 for natural gas here in Ontario Canada. That is heat and hot water.

Reply to
clare

There's a good reason I don't live in the shit-hole Northeast, anymore. I pay about $500/yr for heat now (and another $500-$700) for AC.

You're KILLING CHILDREN with all that CO2!

Reply to
krw

Hi, If house is small enough, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

about 1300 sq ft 2 storey

Reply to
clare

That is a rather small footprint. Being a two-story, it's naturally more efficient.

Reply to
krw

I told you it was apples/oranges. Ill type it slower for you: "the OP has to run the numbers for his situation" You statement that repairs are more than savings has no proof and no merit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I know people that will spend that much in January. You save $116 in a year, they save $116 in a single month. But we still cannot draw any conclusions for the op

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Depending on the furnace, he's right. Takes a long time to save $400 worth of gas by buying 16% higher efficiency. Replace ONE $400 board and those savings take a long time to pay it back.

Reply to
clare

Figuring in the hot water usage, the savings would work out to about $90 a year if I had put in a 96% over an 80%. What I put in is a "high efficiency non condensing" 2 stage furnace - supposed to be

86-90% efficient. Most of the time it is running on low output, which is supposed to make the 90%.

When I had it installed, putting in the high efficiency condensing furnace would have cost me over $800 more - for an extra 6%. - to save about $30- $35 a year.. Even if I saved #40 a year, it would take 20 years to pay for it, and I DOUBT this furnace will last more than 20 years. The original was about 30 years old. So 10 years ago I didn't put in a condensing furnace. My brother did - and it's been replaced already. If I was replacing it today, it would be a high efficiency condensing furnace because that's all I can buy now here in Ontario.

Reply to
clare

And I'm sure there are plenty of us here that are very happy with your decision to leave.

Reply to
trader4

As others have pointed out it's really pretty simple. Try to make an estim ate of your annual heating costs. Since you have a gas hw heater and proba bly some other gas appliances to do that you will need to calculate your av erage monthly summer gas cost and subtract that from your average monthly w inter gas costs. Then multiple the results by the typical number of months you heat and again by 16%. That will be your estimated annual savings. D ivide that into the cost difference between replacing with another 80% unit verses the 96% unit. That will give you the recovery years to break even.

The complexity is another issue that's completely unpredictable. Millions of people have many years of uninterrupted service from a high efficiency u nit. But occasionally they have problems. And they do tend to be more exp ensive to fix.

Reply to
jamesgang

Perhaps Malformed is one of your sockpuppets, Trader? The two of you are sounding more and more alike.

Reply to
krw

Because he has hired a cleaner, cook, nanny, etc. to do what the wife would be doing if not stationed at the window watching for service trucks. I hope he lets her at least listen to radio or do puzzles during the long truck-free intervals.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You can usually get a Service Contract-mine is through the Gas Co--and it covers all the components that you mentioned. My only problem with a 6 yr

92% was the flame sensor. Other than the contract cost my out pocket $$$$ was Zero. Actually, you saved money if these were the first costs you've had in 9 yrs vs paying for a contract over that time frame. Gas company periodically sends a flyer on how you're doing relative to the average users and to neighbors. My fuel costs are only 4% higher than the most efficient and way better (lower) than all the others. So fuel cost savings is a major factor. MLD
Reply to
MLD

BTW, should I even ask about replacing the HX or is that completely ridiculous on a 26 year old unit? Actually, over the years I replaced a gas valve, inducer motor, and inducer control board (new one has the time delay) myself. So aside from the blower and a small circuit board, it's just a box to hold these components, right?

I'm hoping someone is offering one with spark ignition. The more I learn about hot surface ignitors the less I want one since I know it's going to fail.

Reply to
Big Giant Head

Your brother doesn't appear to be too bright. And to think, he's the smart one of you two.

Reply to
Jimbo