Choosing a Toilet

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I'm replacing an old full flow toilet. I know I have get a low flow one, and the ones I've bought in the past either get clogged easily or require two flushes. I've heard that the low flows have come a long way since they first came out, especially in throat design. Is this true?
Are pressure assist toilets worth it?
Anyone know if American Standard's Best Flushing System is any good?
I'd like a two piece (easier to lift and install than a one piece) round toilet that flushes efficiently.
Thanks, Bruce

I just (well last year) replaced a toiled with a new low flow. Have not clogged it yet. I'm happy with it. Of course it is one piece (I can't stand two piece units because of the crud that builds up between the pieces) and has an elongated bowl - a welcome option for the little guy during those sit down moments :)
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:57:56 +0000 (UTC), Bruce

needed two flushes.
Kohler Wellworth is the way to go... I've installed four of em over the past two years... good toilet... good price...

I don't know which model of Kohler (possibly the Wellworth) I installed about a year ago, but it isn't a power flush and it was on the low price price end. It's two pieces, round and flushes at least as well if not better than our other one which is 23 years old. I was surprised at how well it works; not one single problem. If I where to buy again I would look for the same model of Kohler.
Me wrote:

Gotta agree on the Kohlers. I like the fact that the tank has 3 bolts, rather than 2. Easier to install.

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:57:56 +0000 (UTC), Bruce

I'm not an expert by any means, but am in a similar situation. I've seen this question posted here and elsewhere many times. I'm not knocking Kohler (have three of them myself) but the brand that's recommended the most seems to be Toyo.
--
Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com
wrote (with possible editing):

wrote (with possible editing):

I get Consumer Reports, but I don't remember that one. Do you know what issue this was?
Bruce
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:47:58 +0000 (UTC), Bruce

Uh, there's a one-year index in every issue ;-). I believe it's "Toto" not "Toyo." My anecdotal experience is the less expensive Toto works well, but is noisy, and more expensive than but not noticably better than the Kohler Wellworth.
--
Luke
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com says...

10 years. Both worked flawlessly. The Cadet needed a new float valve after 9 years, the Wellworth is still going strong. Unless someone has an unusual problem, either should be fine. And they're inexpensive.
Rick
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:51:35 GMT, Java Man (Espressopithecus)

We have the 1.6 gpf Wellworths (three of them) and like them so well we stayed with them when we had a choice for the new house. They're the standard option in this development and everyone I've spoken to is very happy with them.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com

You'd get the same review from our household, if you replaced the word "Wellworth" with "Toto".
C. Brunner

I assumed as much. I guess the best criteria left are looks and price, as they both seem to work equally well.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
Daughter had 2 Tots and we have 3 Wellworths and found Tots LOUD by comparison.

Gerber with a Sloan pressure valve works well. Kohler with the same valve also works well but is noisier. My parents have 2 new Gerbers and I have 4 Kohlers. One advantage to the Sloan valve is that not only does the pressure give a powerful flush but it also senses back pressure so if there is a clog it instantly stops flushing and cannot cause an overflow.

I just went through the same thing - looking at the PA models. We ended up with the new American Standard Champion. It's not pressure assist, but has some impressive marketing material. Also looks like less to go wrong than a pressure assist. Works well so far, relatively quiet (PAs are loud IIRC). Would recommend
I've had 4 Sloan valve pressure assisted Kohler's in my house for 7 years and none have needed any service. But they are noisy. I just got my parents 2 Gerbers with the same sloan valve and they are quiet and very fast. Don't know if the SLoan valve is quieter now of if it is the toilet design.

Thanks for all the replies. I did go to kohler.com and saw the Wellworth. It looks like one of the Kohlers I saw at Home Depot. All of you gave it good marks. I'll have to consider it.
As a funny aside, the last Kohler I had was an expensive one piece installed in 1991, before 1.6 gpf was mandated. I had nothing but trouble with it, but I'm sure things have changed. The toilet it replace worked fine, but my then 3-year old stuffed a plastic toy (a blue plastic duck for the tub) down its throat, which I discovered only after using a mirror as a periscope. I removed the old toilet, and still couldn't get the darn toy out, even by breaking the toy, so I decided to install the Kohler. The good old days!
Bruce
Just installed two Kohler toilets. A Wellworth and a Devonshire. So far so good. The thing that amazes me is just how quickly it flushes and takes everything with it. The only concern I have is what happens downstream--With so little water is it enough to carry everything all the way out to the main sewer system? I have visions of things stopping midway out to the street because of the low water flow eventually resulting is a clog. Is this a concern? MLD