Choosing a Toilet

It's really not that complicated. My income right now is higher than it will be when I am retired.
Luke

Hey Luke,
Many people, if they didn't spend it now would save the money. From what you are writing, if you didn't spend it now on the toilet you'd fritter it away on some non-asset expenditure.

A brown toilet will save water. You won't have to flush as much :-)
Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

Must have features: elongaged shape, "comfort" or ADA compliant height. I was looking for a toilet that would flush in one shot compared to the weaker one it was replacing. I ended up with an American Standard Champion.
It's not quiet at all, but that wasn't important. It so far hasn't choked on anything that's been dumped in it, pardon the pun. What it doesn't do well is clean the sides of the toilet when it flushes. Everything will go down but you may be left with skid marks on the sides.
Whatever you decide, there are no down sides to choosing elongation and comfort height. If your kids are that small where they might fall in, be sure to have a roll call every evening before bed to make sure they're all still there.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
On Mar 10, 6:10 pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote:

I installed a Toto. Outstanding. The part about the skid marks is true. Probably true of all 'low flow' brands. Anything that doesn't land in water leaves a skid mark and you can't have 'low flow' and a large water pool at the same time.
Noise - yep, mine is too. I will gladly accept the noisy flush over the repeated flushes of the POS I replaced.
I had forgotten just how miserable those 'non-comfort height' or non- ADA toilets were until today. Had to use one at the house of a guy I was helping out. Thought I had missed the seat before I finally hit it.
I gaurantee anyone replaceing a toilet and doesn't use one of the taller ones will regret it when they get up to the senior years.
Harry K
If your fanny doesn't fit on the toilet seat don't buy the toilet.
Ebay is your friend.
The seller there ship the newer toilets at a cost less than you buy it for at home depot.
Myself wants a tall model with a pressurized tank and huge pipes and oversize seat.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 17:35:58 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh

Forget the pressurized tank stuff. There was a bunch of them put in for water conservation, but there was a distressing failure rate. You want an excellent flush, do what I did. I've got my tank on a shelf over 2 feet above the commode. That's a 2" pipe fitting in the bottom of the tank, and I connected it to the commode with one of those plumbing fittings that go into the inside of the opening and as you tighten it, it presses its outer rubber ring outwards to snug up. No, I don't care about it being quiet, I want it to do its job quickly and efficiently. And since I didn't need to use American Standard's tank, I got one incredibly cheap for size and configuration (whoever makes Tank 3412, in Mexico). And I use a Korky Original flapper. Quick flick for yellow, longer for brown.

Post picture.
You can buy a Toto Drake for $200 they are rated at 900 out of 1000 points by the US and Canadian government flush tests. 900 is likely much higher than any Home depot toilet is rated.
cm

When I renovated my bathroom, I put in an American Standard Cadet, with an elongated bowl, and have not regretted it. At the same time, I put in a handrail along the wall, with a bracket every 16". And another one vertical along the side of the shower. We use the horizontal one as a towel bar, but it's there if anybody should feel unsteady. Little did I know that it would be me to be appreciative of it. The next year, my knee was injured, I had to have surgery, and I was in a leg brace to prevent me from bending my knee. You just can't believe how appreciative I was that I was able to ease myself down on the commode with one of my legs not being able to be bent. And if anybody else does this, I used a 1x4 secured to the 2x4 in the wall with a lag screw in a predrilled hole, so that I wouldn't have to depend on hitting the 2x4 perfectly with the handrail mounting screws.

For whatever it's worth, I replaced one with a Cadet III from American Standard - elongated with the elevated seat and was very impressed with it so I've now replaced two more. I can't recall ever having to re-flush and I really appreciate the height although one of the replacements was the shorter version for my wife - she felt like her feet were dangling. I'm sure others have had good success with other brands but this one has sure worked for me.

    We recently remodelled our bathrooms and bought comfort height toilets. I didn't really do any homework (I know, my bad) so I was a little surprised at the height. I'm 5'5" and when I sit on them, I can't put my feet flat on the floor, just the balls of my toes. Maybe I have short legs, I don't know. It was odd, but I'm getting used to it. (On the other hand, I was thinking about that, and even if I'd sat on one in the showroom, I would have had shoes on, which would have allowed me to keep my feet on the floor.)     I don't have any other problems with them. I AM impressed by the flushing ability. We got the 1.5 gallon flushers, and despite using so little water, they do flush well.
- Sharon "Gravity... is a harsh mistress!"