Choosing a Toilet

Page 2 of 3

[entire post snipped]
Hey Professor! That was the hardest post to read that I can recall. I had to read the 2nd paragraph, then the 1st, then the 4th, then the 3rd, and so on. Very strange. And you're a professor!? Could you please learn how to properly post. Usenet is a question and then answer type of discussion. And we that read English read from top down. Thanks.
Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

I will only try to address one issue. Function. As you look at the specs, you want to pay attention to two of them.
First it should be "Fully Glazed" That means the part of the drain you don't see, the part where things get clogged, is fully glazed like the parts you do see. If it does not say fully glazed, then inside that pipe there are sections that are not fully glazed and have a consistency somewhat like sand paper. Things that you don't want to see again slide on the glass like finish (glazed) much better than on sand paper.
Next you want to look for a trap size (the trap is the part that is hopefully fully glazed) is at a minimum 2 inches and larger is much better. I would not buy less than 2 inches myself.
Between the two you get a slippery large opening to get rid of the unwanted.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I'm in luck! Consumer Reports has a review of toilets online from Aug. 2005. They talk about some of the things I was interested in. Should have gone there, first. With the comments from this newsgroup, and the analyses on CR, I'm confident that I'll have a reliable throne installed by Monday.
Anyway, it looks like the Eljer Titan is going to deserve some investigation. It's not easy to test a toilet in the showroom!
Luke

The problem with that article is they only tested a minute fraction of the toilet models that are available in the market place.

If you want to buy Com hieght good idea many of my clients have . If you buy 6ltr get one that as some one else said fully glazed 2 inch no smaller opening. 2 button toilets are good but you can save money and hold the lever till the water in the bowl goe,s down, you then have used the full 6 ltrs. Nost people that tell me they will never buy another 6 just don,t know how to flush it properly. You have to hold the handle till the water starts to go down in the bowl it has then used the full tank not half as it would if you flick and walk away.Crane Kohler American Standerd all very good. Good Luck

No other source of information that I could find has tested as many toilets as CR did. No other source did as detailed a test. CR tested Crane, Eljer, Kohler, Gerber, American Standard, Toto, Mansfield, Niagara, Jacuzzi, Briggs and Sterling. That's a bigger sample set than is available locally. I'm satisfied with that.
Luke

Unfortunately, testing a single model in a large brand is totally inadequate. There are too many differences within the brands.
The CWWA site cited earlier has a substantially larger database, and should make a better basis for shopping. Once you weed out the low performers, shop elsewhere to find info on specific models. I found the mfgrs' web sites to be informative as well, and the plumber's and customers' perspectives at www.terrylove.com invaluable.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:46:50 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh

I saw that article in consumer reports last year. The Eljer was rated much higher than the Toto. A higher price never guarantees a better product. We're buying an Eljer this summer. -Chris

From Terry Love's site:
Eljer Titan:
Good flushing toilet. Could use a little better bowl wash, but better than some others. Noise level consistent with other 3" flush valve toilets.
Toto Drake:
An industry standard for performance with what some consider the best flush performance. Has perhaps the most thorough flush, leaving nothing in the bowl. Fairly compact at 28" in length for the elongated version and 26-1/2" for the regular bowl. Easy to assembly with common tools. If you have pliers and a flat blade screwdriver, you're in business.
I have to second the "compact" and "easy to assembl[e]" comments. One of my bathrooms is small, and I wasn't sure if an elongated bowl would fit. Turns out that the Drake was less than an inch longer from the wall overall than my old round-bowl toilet. The tank is more compact, and it fits in the standard roughout.

"Perpetually hawk"?!? Let's see...
I found it when I was shopping for toilets about 2-3 years ago. I found it valuable in my search.
I have mentioned it a couple times before, always in response to someone's query for info.
For the record, I don't know the guy and have never bought anything from him, and have NEVER recommended anyone buy anything from him.
Unprofessional?!? Dunno how you came to that...
He's a plumbing contractor, and states that very clearly on his site. He's licensed, bonded, & insured, and has no complaints listed on the state of WA licensing or the BBB sites.
He lists references to other plumbers on the web.
More prominent than the ratings on the "toilet reports" page is an alphabetical list of all major toilet mfgrs and their web links, as well as a number of other useful links.
He clearly explains the basis of his subjective and objective (e.g., MaP testing) ratings.
Biased? Probably -- no, DEFINITELY true! He is very apparently biased toward toilets that work.

Here your own bias is showing. There are several negative comments in the customer reviews of the Toto Drake, Ultramax, and Aquia. He has good comments and no negatives on the Gerber Ultraflush and Caroma Caravell.
There is a combination of objectivity and subjectivity on the site.

Hmmm... I would be very wary of a vendor that did NOT sell the products he recommends!
He sells a multitude of brands and models. Since it is unlikely that anyone will order from him via the web unless they live between Bothell and Bellevue, WA, and since he provided the reviews to ANYONE -- not just [potential] customers, there is NO conflict of interest here. To the contrary, it is provided as an educated, expert opinion from someone who sells and services a wide variety of toilets.

Yep!
There is nothing phony or shillish about this one, though. Besides, you can take his advice or leave it -- no pressure!

Consumer Reports also has an increasing trend toward evaluations that are less scientific and more error-prone. This trend is accompanied by a trend toward marketing tactics that approach the "sleaze" they decry in other companies. CR is a good organization, but they are not perfect, infallible, or omniscient.
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 16:28:17 -0700, "John Weiss" <jrweiss98155nospamatnospamcomcastdotnospamnet> wrote:>CR is a good organization, but they are not perfect, infallible,

Isn't it funny how you are the only one who suggested they were. Their continuing saving grace is how their detractors can never name any widely-available source of information that comes close to their good track record. They are simply the best source of consumer information that is available to the general public. Nobody else goes to such detail. Nobody else refuses all advertisements from the companies whose products are being evaluated. Nobody else covers such a wide range of consumer products.
You stick to supporting your shill site. Any company who needs that kind of support isn't worth considering for my purchases. There will always be a ready supply of stupid customers who will fall for it, but there are plenty of intelligent consumers who can immediately see the lack of value in Mr. Love's recommendations.
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@cornpit.com says...

Wow.
You're a worthless fucktard, aren't ya?
                -Tim
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:53:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@again.spammers (The Enigmatic One) wrote:

Well now, the quality of that retort well explains the foolishness of your whole argument. Those are the words of a snot-nosed, 12-year-old brat. I had mistaken you for a poorly educated adult. -Chris

Oops! I thought Tim was just the latest identity change for one of the folks who previously participated in this discussion, but when I Googled him, I see that he has spewed his bile all over usenet for years.
My fault. I should have ignored him. -Chris

Sure ya did. And I'll bet that none of the products CR didn't like ever showed up in the shop. Ain't lyin' amazingly convenient.

Which is about as smart as using the online sexual offender list for finding a babysitter. Good luck with that.
Chris
Chris wrote:

I wouldn't know.
--
Martians drive SUVs! <http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html

Larry the Cable Guy had no problem with it.
On Mar 12, 6:08 am, tom(REMOVE) snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net (Tom) wrote:

Nor young unsupervised children.
TMT
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:00:05 -0500, "betsyb"

Thanks for the insight, BetsyB. Situations like what you describe is exactly what I am trying to prepare for. I may have the money now for a taller toilet, but I probably won't have the money after I retire and go on a fixed income (in a couple of decades).
Trying to 'make hay while the sun shines'.
Luke
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:05:46 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh

How does that work? If you don't spend it now, won't you have it later?