Choosing a Toilet

Page 1 of 3

Rather than repairing a leaky, creaky old toilet in a half-bath in my house, I have decided to replace it. That brought on the sudden realization that I have never bought a new toilet in my life. I've repaired several toilets in several houses that I've owned, but this is the first purchase.
One thing that I want to do is to take advantage of the new features that are being offered on new toilets these days.
First, I want a "comfort height" toilet. I'm in good physical condition now, but I am not getting any younger. A sprained ankle that I got from skiing reminded me that I should make my house more accessible in order to accommodate any physical issues that I may encounter during the next 30 years. As long as the changes don't make life more difficult for a healthy person, I will try to implement the changes as the projects occur. A comfort-height toilet seems innocuous enough. Anyone have any comments on tall toilets?
Next, I noticed that many of the new toilets are claiming to have large flush capacity ("100 Feet of toilet paper", and such). Do these claims have any basis in fact? Do they indeed reduce clogs? It's not like clogs happen very often, but it would be nice to have a lower likelihood.
Next, I saw one toilet that is claiming exceptional quietness. Since most of the noise for a toilet is in the plumbing, can they indeed reduce the noise significantly? If they do, how can I tell when it is running excessively, and needs a new flapper?
Any assistance from someone who has recently replaced their toilet would be appreciated.
Luke

Ignore Usenet hearsay, marketing double talk and get the facts.Pick up a copy of the latest Maximum Performance Test of low flow toilets here:
http://www.cwwa.ca/home_e.asp
Look for the link that says "6 Litre Toilets" and then click on the 8th edition report.

I have a new Toto that I like. They make a lot of models and I have another but this one cost $100 more and is quieter. Neither has ever clogged. I think in the beginning, the lower water use mandated toilets did not flush as well as the old high volume ones but I do not think this is true any longer.
Frank

Funny story; I had a roofer out the other day who offered me a great deal on premium shingles with a 35 year warranty. I looked him in the eye and said "Listen, sonny; I'm 60 years old. Why the hell would I waste my money on a shingle with a 35 year warranty?"
The Rolls-Royce of toilets is the Toto. Yes, they are pricey, but if you can afford it, it's the last toilet you will ever buy. You can look them over at http://www.totousa.com/consumer_landing.asp and even find a dealer in your area. You wanted modern features, so be sure and look over the section on "washlets", but don't you dare show momma or you are doomed.
Like any other household appliance, you get what you pay for.
John
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:04:00 GMT, John~

That is one of those snappy sayings that I never believed. If anyone believes that statement, then I have a $200 Thousand Ford Escort to sell you.
The Toto certainly looks advanced, but I didn't know what a 'washlet' was. It's a stealth bidet. I'd have to warn my guests, or risk getting slapped. Sadly, from the looks of it, Toto is out of my price range. I will have to stick with those items stocked at my local Lowe's Home Center.
Luke

No problem; buy the "Acme Deluxe Toilet" and plunge it three times a week.
Sorry I wasted my time trying to help....
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 02:06:36 GMT, John~

With that attitude, so am I.
Luke
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:10:40 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh

You really shoudln't complain Luke, because you provoked it.
Let's see:

In the paragraph above basically you called him a fool.

I don't know what this paragraph means but I know it didnt' undo the first paragraph.
And he was trying to help. So who's the one with the attitude?

You?

Looks like it to me. You explained very well _why_ you couldn't go with teh expensive item. Just why that should draw assholish responses is beyond me.
Harry K

Maybe he believes that those who believe in "you get what you pay for" foolishly think that a high price indicates high quality. A high price can be placed on a low-quality product, and there's a sucker born every minute.

You could be right, especially some of the time, but they're not fighting about that. The problem was the insult, or iirc 2 of them.

Insult? Anybody who is that sensitive while participating on usenet had better invest in a big box of tissues. -Chris
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:33:06 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh

I'm a neutral observer.
Except that I've been in your shoes, where I don't like the advice.
There can be two competing forces, a) the desire and the worthy goal to keep the record straight by giving the disadvantages of the advice one doesn't like, and b) the worthy goal of replying nicely to someone who went to the trouble to gave advice in reply to one's request.
If there is no way meet a and b at the same time, one should settle for b, and just say "Thank you".
Instead you gave short shrift to b, and you seem to add c, a gratuitous insult: ">That is one of those snappy sayings that I never believed. If anyone believes that statement, then I have a $200 Thousand Ford Escort to sell you." You say you don't believe him, and that anyone who does is a fool, and that clearly means that the person who gave the advice is a fool or a liar or stupid or mentally ill. The least bad of these is that he's a fool.
I can understand not wanting to retract or anything, but I can't understand complaining about his mild reply:
"No problem; buy the "Acme Deluxe Toilet" and plunge it three times a week.
Sorry I wasted my time trying to help...."
He feels he wasted his time, and he's keeping the record straight, sort of like you kept the record straight that you thought his idea wouldn't work. But he doesn't insult you.
Harry F hasn't posted much afaik and I don't know why he writes what he does.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:26:44 -0500, Luke Howett Fitzhugh

The Toto (and the Gerber) really are worth the extra $$ if you are looking to avoid problems, particularly if you have only one toilet in your house. I'm an American Standard Cadet kinda person right now, and that's just because 1) it fits my budget, and 2) I have the energy and strength to deal with clearing it every once in a while. Otherwise, I'd be buying one of these babies and never thinking again about my personal waste removal. As John already said, you really do get what you pay for.
An ADA compliant toilet has the necessary height and is an excellent choice, even if you don't yet need the height. Every time my wife's elderly uncle visits us, he thanks us for getting the ADA compliant toilet. My recollection is that the ADA compliant model was not that more expensive than the standard model, at least not so that I didn't think it was worth it, but then I was remodeling the bathroom and wanted a quality finished product.
I got a Toto because of their reputation for quality. Mine is not particularly quiet, but certainly not as noisy as others I have heard.
The washlet is an option, and you can get the toilet without it. It can be active or not, even if you have it installed, but once you use one, you will almost certainly continue to use it. The only problem with the washlet is that you need an electrical outlet nearby, which is pretty rare in US bathrooms, but certainly not impossible to install if you are handy.
Luke Howett Fitzhugh wrote:

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:04:00 GMT, John~

I made the opposite mistake. When I was 55, I bought a 25 year roof.
Should have bought longer.
I'm going to have to by a new roof when I only have 10 years to live.
Make sure you have astonishingly good ventilation.

I was hoping for 120, but I'll settle for 90.
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:04:00 GMT, John~

yeah, I was telling the young pilot of a commuter jet that I was wearing underwear older than he is.