Choices for wiring aluminum to copper for oven

Following up on my earlier post about needing to connect No. 6 aluminum in the wall to (amazingly thin) No. 16 copper for the new oven ...

I haven't found any connector made for No. 6 aluminum and No. 16 copper. A split bolt I've seen is for 6 through 10, and a Polaris connector I've seen is for 4 through 14. Two appliance installers have told me they'd just use a wire nut (one guy specifies a gray or maybe blue one). An inspector and some electric supply guys think a wire nut is a bad idea. I don't much like the idea of using a split bolt rated for a larger wire. One installer says they're kind of a mess and require two kinds of tape.

The Frigidaire oven manual says the insulation on the wire is rated for higher temperatures than ordinary household wire insulation. The manual, for more than one model, says the oven draws "up to" 4000 watts, but a plate on the oven says 3.4 kilowatts at 240 volts. So that's either a max of 16.7 amps or 14.2 amps. The old double oven had gray wire nuts.

What would you do?

Reply to
BobH

It might be ugly, but the simplest might be to pigtail the oven wires to regular 12ga THHN (using yellow wire nuts) and then use appropriate CU/AL connection to your AL feeder.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I might use a wire nut to pigtail a short piece of #8 copper THHN wire to the stove wires, then a split bolt to connect the #8 to the aluminum supply lines. (8 gauge wire is much more flexible than #10 or #6)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Won't the box get awfully crowded with all these connectors? The box is the two-gang size -- 3 7/8 by 3 7/8 by 2 1/8 deep. Would you use the same arrangement for ground as for other wires? (The ground passes through a lug screwed to the box and has a decent amount of extra wire past the lug.)

Reply to
BobH

You could add a 2nd lug

-- bud--