choice of finish for covered (but not enclosed) porch floor

I have a wrap-around porch that's covered, but not enclosed. It's T&G. We get about 40 inches of rain a year. The existing paint is peeling along the outside (most exposure to elements) and right above the joists. It looks like I will need to replace some of the flooring boards, maybe some of the structural pieces, and then repaint.

What paint/finish would be preferred? I was initially tempted to replace all the flooring with TREX or some other synthetic material. But after some reading, I'm not convinced that material is as resilient as advertised and probably not worth the cost.

Thank you,

Reply to
kansascats

Use a good brand polyurethane porch and floor paint (exterior rated) after all the structural work is done, of course.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Typically, I would do the usual prep then prime any new wood with an oil based primer followed by at least an overnight dry. My preference in a top coat would be Ben Moore Latex Floor & Patio enamel or similar. There are more exotic solutions but over time this has worked at least as well or better than most and is a whole lot easier.

Reply to
Bonnett Decorating

I never see it suggested to paint all sides of deck or porch floors, but it is what I would do if faced with the project. Would also give special attention to sealing up end grain, as it is the point at which most paint failures begin. Caulk nail/screw heads? Dunno.

We have Trex on a finger-dock, installed about 6 or 7 years ago. Florida, full sun all day, good shape.

Reply to
norminn

I'm looking for a sensible, reliable solution. It looks like I'll need to tear up 20% of the floor, possibly do some structural repair, then refinish.

Which primer?

Which recommended topcoats?

Reply to
kansascats