Chlorination System

Go here:

Cl2 + H2S ==> 2 HCl + S

Reply to
Dan Espen

What is the best newsgroup/forum for asking questions about water systems? I recently purchased an acreage with it's own well, and I have a number of questions regarding the water system. It consists of a large pressure tank, a retention tanks, a chlorination system, and a carbon filter.

1) I have read that chlorine "oxidizes" the H2S in the water. What is the chemical formula for this reaction? I'm just curious. What is the composition for Hypochlor 12 that I use? 2) It is my understanding that the chlorine removes the H2S by converting it to elemental sulphur (or some by-product thereof). Is the chlorine (at 1 to 4 ppm) also sufficient to kill any H2S producing bacteria in the system? 3) The pH of my H2O is between 8 to 8.4. I have read that at these levels H2S does not readily dissolve in the water. Can someone elaborate on why? 4) When I bought the house, the carbon filter was in by-pass (chlorine injected at 4 ppm before retention tank and coming out at 1 to 2 ppm after). I have left it that way. There is a smell to my water, but I wouldn't classify it as a rotten egg smell. It is similar to the smell you would find at a place like Banff hot springs (the Canadians will know what I mean - very popular tourist destination up here). I would categorize it more like the smell of sulphur. Is this typical?

Thank you, Chris

Reply to
C. Bailey

Thank you for the link - very informative. If the by-product of oxidizing the H2S is HCl, why does my water have such a high pH (around 8 to 8.4)? I assume it must be because the H2S is measured in ppm, and there simply isn't enough HCl generated to be of any consequence?

Chris

Reply to
C. Bailey