Chirping Dryer

We have a Maytag dryer that began incessent chirping today. It's driving the wife crazy. Any suggestions where to start?
Thanks in advance.

Two ideas: 1) Support rollers (most likely) 2) Motor (less likely).
Good luck! Sam
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:46:53 -0700 (PDT),

I'll go with idler pulley as #2.

If I was pulling it apart, first I'd buy the support rollers- idler pulley & some lube. [get it from the parts place- it is a special high-temp lube that doesn't attract lint]
Once it's apart they are fairly cheap and easy to install.
Jim
I fixed it (at least temporarily) by taking off the front panel and shooting WD40 on all the rollers and pulleys. Hey, what's the deal with all the spam on the group? Makes it darn near useless.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"

The belt. Adjust tension/apply belt dressing.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"

temporary fix would be to flip up the top, and then drip a few drops of oil on the bearing from above.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"

The Maytag drum rides on 2 rollers (no center bearing like a GE) They have oilite bronze bushings They get dry and squeek. Oil will shut them up for a while. Removal and greasing with Moly Coat will shut them up for a real long time and Maytag says buy new ones with factory impregnated bushings.
the drum support rollers need lube.

m_corbelli wrote:

Depends.
Do you want to fix the dryer or the wife?
I had a chirping Maytag. I greased the roller bushings and it was quiet for a day. I bought new rollers online and did the replacement. It was an easy job since I had someone to help hold the drum during reassembly.

The source of mine was the rear central drum "bearing", which is basically just a pointed shaft on the back of the drum which fits into a recess.
I ended up just "repacking" the recess with grease.
Along the way I discovered a lot of part prices made just buying a new one seem the best solution, next time. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

There was likely supposed to be a nylon bushing in there in which the shaft turns, not just packed w/ grease...

Coulda been I reckon, but there weren't any remnants of it and IIRC it was a fairly tight fit.
Been working fine for a little over a year... maybe it was a "pocket bushing"... -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

What brand/model? It would seem to me an unlikely design to rely only on a lubricant for a metal-metal rub point as well as the general desire in washer/dryer to avoid any way could potentially end up w/ grease on clothes. Anything's possible, of course, just seems like would likely been something different originally.

GE- DBXR453ET3WW

That does seem a bit odd, now that you mention it.

Mmm... seems unlikely, given the location. Hasn't occurred anyway.

I agree. Maybe a guy who worked on it before tricked me.
I've already put it in the "fixed for $0" category, please don't burst my fantasy... -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

:) (I like that one...)
In the vein of not bursting bubble (or is that bauble?) I didn't take the time to look up the actual model number, but I've had GE dryers for "since forever" and they all have had a nylon bushing... :)
So, if it needs something again, look and see if the remnants of the old one aren't still in there. The grounding strap that contacts the end of the drum shaft comes loose and then there's a c-clip that holds the drum. I have (once w/ one that was virtually completely gone) managed to get the pieces out from the rear and push the new one in, but the correct way is to pull the drum. That, as you have discovered, isn't but a bout a 20 minute job start to finish on these puppies...

If it needs anything else it's going to the scrap yard, but I cleaned out the recess looking for metal shavings and there weren't nothing in there but a small amount of old dirty grease.

Heh. Took me about an hour, but I only work on a dryer every 10 years or so. I've only got maybe 2 dryer repairs left in me, so I'm saving them for a better dryer. -----
- gpsman
gpsman wrote:

Showing how slow a day it is, I did a search -- the picture looks quite similar to the bracket on the old ones I've worked on, but two places had only a full "kit" under your specific model number, not just the nylon bearing. Since they wanted roughly $40 for that, I might just go your route instead given the choice. :) For the ones I've replaced, the bushing/bearing alone was available for about $6-7.
On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:40:00 -0400, "m_corbelli"

The battery is getting weak.
It has to be replaced, just like in a smoke alarm.
The ones I've seen, there are two rollers in the back, that hold the drum up. They need a squirt of silicone spray (doesn't attract dust) now and again.
To dissemble, open the door. Look up from under. Remove a couple phillips screews. Lid comes up like the hood of a car. Two 5/16 cap head screws, front comes off. Drum comes out, belt off of the drum. Now you can see adn lube the two rollers in the back. Rollers about 3 inch diameter.
Plan B, shoot the bird that's in the drum.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus