chipped TV screen

Hi!
We have a older CRT TV screen that has a few small chips (5 in total) in it, courtesy of our 2-year old hammering on it with a small toy plastic hammer.
Most of the chips are the size of a pin-head, but one is big enough to make it really annoying to watch hockey (it looks like the puck!)... any advice on what can be done? Clear nail polish?
Howie
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 09:54:53 -0800, Howie wrote:

The general consensus in the electronics repair group I subscribe to and where this question is frequently asked is that attempts at repairing scratches or chips or other defects doesn't improve viewing and in some cases can cause additional visual distortions.
Meat Plow wrote:

I agree. Continued viewing may allow the OP to become used to the chips so that they become less bothersome. On the other hand, what a great excuse for getting that new big-screen plasma TV :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
yes, my thoughts as well, a CRT can implode with extreme prejudice.
Although if that happens, the 2 year old will likely learn not to hammer on TV screens...
nate
(seriously, don't let the 2 year old hammer on the TV screen, no matter what you end up doing with it. Not only is it bad for the TV, it's potentially really bad for the 2 year old.)

It is not a very deep chip, just deep enough to make it look like a puck...

They only way I would know to fix it is with windshield repair resin. (used for stone chips) You should be able to be a cheapie kit at an auto parts store and do it yourself. All you need is the resin and the plastic film to cover it out in the sun until it cures. (about 5 minutes) Then using a single edge razorblade scrape down the dried resin until it's flat/flush with the screen.

Just deep enough to form a weak spot which may cause the tube to implode when bumped, injuring anyone in the room.
Don't watch hockey.
On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:04:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

LOL!
On Jan 2, 5:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Now that was funny! Almost spit milk out of my mouth!
Han a nearly new SONY about 20 years ago with a chip about 1/8 inch long and 1/32 wide. Deep enough to feel, Buffed it out with toothpaste - TV ;lasted 20+ years. The glass on the front of a CRT is nearly 3/4 inch thick.

3/4 glass is all the MORE dangerous for the child...git it?
Oren --

And what good is buffing out a chip? Did you mean a scratch?

o man, 2 year olds! Those were the days my friend. My daughter would do the strangest things at lightening speed.
I'd try the windshield repair kit from the auto parts store. Has some liquid that soaks in, and dries clear.
Tip the TV so the screen is up, and clean the surface well (glass cleaner, paper towels, and let it dry). Drip the stuff on, let it dry over night.
I've not actually done this, but it seems like it might work.
--

Christopher A. Young
.