chipmunk removal....

how do you get rid of these furry little terrors??

mike.......

Reply to
JerseyMike

I use a Havahart trap, baited with crackers and peanut butter, then relocate them to a nearby wooded area.

If you'd rather just kill them, I expect a rat trap would do the job. If there's any possibility of children or pets getting caught, though, this isn't a good idea. Rat traps will break bones in paws and little hands.

Or you could get a cat, or a terrier.

Doug Miller

Good target practice with an Uzi.....

How much chip can a chipmunk chip if a......

No wait........that's not the right one.....

(nevermind)

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Don't kill the snakes. We have several large black snakes, some over

5 feet l>how do you get rid of these furry little terrors??
Reply to
Phisherman

Almost. Nearby is not the right term to use unless you want them back. Far away is better. An a field area is better than woods for them.

While I would tend to try and relocate them, it may not be all that successful from the chipmunk's perspective. It is hard on them to make a living in a new area.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Phisherman" wrote

I see the same type post asking about moles.

I got a Jack Russell a year and a half ago and my yard has been rodent free ever since......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Just 2 words. The Rodenator... :-)

Watch the videos. Its amazing these guys dont blow themselves up...

I hate these critters. My driveway's sinking, and the sidewalk's collapsed. They've gnawed through the house siding too.I had one burrow next to the house last year. Then I had bumblebees move into the burrow. Next thing I knew I had a ton of bumblebees in the basement. That was fun. Not!

I go after them whenever I see one near the house. A snap rat trap works good, baited with sunflower seeds. Surprisingly, all I catch are 'munks, no squirrels. Oh, and bring it in at night or else you'll get a raccoon or 'possum (or the neighbor's cat).

dickm

Reply to
dicko

"Doug Miller" wrote

This is illegal in Massachusetts. Coyote urine works you can find it online.

If you elect to relocate them, 20 miles is too close, 40 miles is better or they'll just come back. I got this info from a NH arricultural college.

I use a BB gun. Quick and painless if you have an accurate gun. Crosman pumpmasters are pretty good, about $30 - $40 at Walmart. If you go this way use copper colored BB's, Silver colored BB's are like throwing a curve ball.

Reply to
Ed

Fortunately, I live in Indiana, where we still have most of our freedom left.

Doug Miller

"Doug Miller" wrote

But what you do: "relocate them to a nearby wooded area" doesn't work. The reason it is illegal here is because people don't want you to bring your problem into their yard. If that's how you do it in Indiana that's just another reason that I like it here.

Reply to
Ed

I live out in the forest and chipmunks are a real problem. I decided to adopt two cats from the Humane Society and the first day outside, the cats killed 10 chipmunks. I no longer have any in the area. Problem solved un-intentionally. They (cats) have earned their keep. Those shit'n a@# little red squirrels or pine squirrels stay away also among others.

Stone

Reply to
Gary Stone

I hate it when I do that, let's see, Pumpkin, Pumpkin, Peater....Oh hell. Was it, Mary had a lot?

Reply to
Gary Stone

Your neighbor's cat eats sunflower seeds?

Reply to
JerryMouse

Our lazy old cat gets one chipmunk per day in the summer. She eats them except for the tail so we know when she has had her snack.

The cat will not lift an eyebrow to squirrels of any color.

GF found out that coffee grounds protect against chipmunks. We started muching the rose garden with grounds and I believe it does work!

Reply to
William W. Plummer

I have had great success with the "Rat Zapper" which is designed for small rodents such as rats, mice and chipmunks. I installed a partial cover (duct tape) over the opening so that mice and chipmunks can get in, but squirrels can't. The trap is not lethal for larger critters such as squirrels - they just get a jolt rather than a fatal dose of electricity. The unit costs about $30 and is very good:

I've had some luck with snap traps (mouse traps). The biggest problem with them is that squirrels will get into them also - they set off the traps and are strong enough to free their leg from the trap. Also, birds get killed in the mouse snap traps.

Pellet guns work well. Don't waste time using BBs if the airgun will accept pellets. And use field points rather than the less effective blunt- nosed pellets. A modestly priced pellet gun ($25-$45) plus an inexpensive scope ($10-$15) will make head shots on rodents rather easy from a considerable distance. Body shots are ok, especially on chipmunks, if you don't mind the risk of a somewhat slow kill allowing the injured rodent to run over to your neighbor's house and possibly dying in front of his wife or kids. That's particularly important if you're in the city and your are breaking the law using the pellet gun. Not that any of us would do that. :)

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon