Chipmunk help??

My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly cures? I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work either.

Reply to
JJ

They cause no damage other than some holes.

They are part of nature and busy little guys. Just smile and leave them be....

Reply to
hallerb

Get a cage trap. Get a cheap plastic tub/bin that will hold the trap.

Bait the trap, drown the vermin in the tub, dump, and repeat as needed.

Another option is the Giant Destroyer Smoke Bombs that you insert in their hole. Use long matches to avoid the hot sparks. ;)

Reply to
yellowbirddog

In article , snipped-for-privacy@Ono.com says... :) My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly :) cures? :) I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On :) one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work :) either. :) :) :) If they will eat bird seed take a 5 gallon bucket and fill 3/4 the way with water. Pour a layer of bird seed which floats on top of the water. Make a ramp to the top of the bucket with a trail of birdseed going up the ramp. When they jump into the bucket they are caught..adjusting the water level can determine it to be a lethal trap or a live catch in which you will need to be cautious and not get bit... a floating stick may also give them something a float to hold onto if you want to keep them alive.

Reply to
Lar

They live outside right, so why bother them.

Reply to
m Ransley

They eat up the garden, and when they do get into the house it's a nasty deal. Check previous posts regarding that issue. Personally my recommended solution is this:

Works like a charm on little buggers.....

Reply to
jackson

They get in the house. They carry diseases and can cause damage to electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need to be controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the house.

That's why.

Reply to
Ether Jones

They undermine footings and foundations in addition to putting ankle breaking holes in the ground...

A cage trap is the solution. Catch 'em and relocate 'em a few miles away.

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

They dont put ankle breaking holes in the ground, their holes are to small, they dont eat my garden or undermine foundations, but I agree with them getting in the house is bad, so is their chirp loud.

Reply to
m Ransley

Not true. They get in the house. They carry diseases and can cause damage to electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need to be controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the house.

That's what I thought until I found out otherwise, the hard way.

If you see the chipmunk population proliferating near your home, it's best to act before they get into the house.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Dog friendly? Isn't the dog the solution?

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

Rodenator not only effective, but fun as well.

Eric in North TX

Not true. They get in the house. They carry diseases and can cause damage to electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need to be controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the house.

That's what I thought until I found out otherwise, the hard way.

If you see the chipmunk population proliferating near your home, it's best to act before they get into the house.

Reply to
Ether Jones

I've about had it with my population, too. They've undermined my aboveground pool; have holes everywhere; have eaten too many pepper plants. . ..

I'm going to go with Trapper John's cure

] and make bait stations loaded with Ro-Dex.

He doesn't describe the bait station very well-- but what I've seen online is- a pair of 24" 3-4" pvc with a reducing T between. The 1 1/2 leg is just high enough for access to drop the bait in and capped to keep critters and rain out.

The chipmunks go to their holes to die.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

They can get in the house, but most aren't interested. Don't leave their favorite foods lying around, or garbage in the inside garbage can overnight, nd the rest won't be interested.

Only the ones who have caught a disease. The vast majority don't.

People who find out the hard way are usually concerned that other people will suffer the same way they did, and that's good. But I'm sure you're a quite ununusal case, compared to millions of homes that have chipmunks around.

We had chipmunks within 50 feet of our house, maybe 10 feet, but only a few, every year for the 8 years we lived in the indiaanpolsi summer, and they never caused any problem. We had squirrels every year for 10 years that we lived in a small town in Western Pa, and they never caused any trouble, except one summer when we were away for 10 days, a squirrel or two came on our back porch and ate a little bit out of every buckeye that I had collected from our buckeye tree, about 50 or

100 of them. But that was outside, and buckeyes are one of their favorite foods.

Even my mother, who worried about all kinds of stuff, so much that it drove me crazy, never worried or uttered a word of concern about a chipmunk or squirrel. Maybe she knew her house, her kitchen, was clean enough they wouldn't be interested.

Reply to
mm

They eat my mom's plants too. Using a rat trap that got 32 last year. As of early June it was 5 this year. They are only maintaining the population, not decreasing it.

Don (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

"The Other Funk" wrote in news:0Yjog.27141$Xn.13401@trnddc05:

My dog is fast, but she can't catch a chipmunck. Have you ever seen the chipmunk run and hop? They are super fast.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

A scoped .22 cal rifle works very well.

Reply to
Nobody You'd Know

My lazy, old cat gets them. I guess they must make a nice lunchtime snack. She eats everything except the tail.

Reply to
Stubby

their tunnels can go a long way, while someone gets their jollies they might just break a water, sewer, or other line.

a tunnel might allow the gas to enter your home, what you do to their home can happen to yours too.

killing of small defensless creatures..... so sad

Reply to
hallerb