Chipmunk help??

Page 1 of 2
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly cures? I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work either.
They cause no damage other than some holes.
They are part of nature and busy little guys. Just smile and leave them be....
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not true. They get in the house. They carry diseases and can cause damage to electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need to be controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the house.

That's what I thought until I found out otherwise, the hard way.
If you see the chipmunk population proliferating near your home, it's best to act before they get into the house.

They can get in the house, but most aren't interested. Don't leave their favorite foods lying around, or garbage in the inside garbage can overnight, nd the rest won't be interested.

Only the ones who have caught a disease. The vast majority don't.

People who find out the hard way are usually concerned that other people will suffer the same way they did, and that's good. But I'm sure you're a quite ununusal case, compared to millions of homes that have chipmunks around.
We had chipmunks within 50 feet of our house, maybe 10 feet, but only a few, every year for the 8 years we lived in the indiaanpolsi summer, and they never caused any problem. We had squirrels every year for 10 years that we lived in a small town in Western Pa, and they never caused any trouble, except one summer when we were away for 10 days, a squirrel or two came on our back porch and ate a little bit out of every buckeye that I had collected from our buckeye tree, about 50 or 100 of them. But that was outside, and buckeyes are one of their favorite foods.
Even my mother, who worried about all kinds of stuff, so much that it drove me crazy, never worried or uttered a word of concern about a chipmunk or squirrel. Maybe she knew her house, her kitchen, was clean enough they wouldn't be interested.

mm wrote:

"but only a few"
Like I said, if they start to proliferate you need to do something about it.
They are NOT cute when they get into the walls and attic.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not true. They get in the house. They carry diseases and can cause damage to electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need to be controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the house.

That's what I thought until I found out otherwise, the hard way.
If you see the chipmunk population proliferating near your home, it's best to act before they get into the house.
JJ wrote:

Get a cage trap. Get a cheap plastic tub/bin that will hold the trap.
Bait the trap, drown the vermin in the tub, dump, and repeat as needed.
Another option is the Giant Destroyer Smoke Bombs that you insert in their hole. Use long matches to avoid the hot sparks. ;)
snipped-for-privacy@Ono.com says... :) My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly :) cures? :) I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On :) one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work :) either. :) :) :) If they will eat bird seed take a 5 gallon bucket and fill 3/4 the way with water. Pour a layer of bird seed which floats on top of the water. Make a ramp to the top of the bucket with a trail of birdseed going up the ramp. When they jump into the bucket they are caught..adjusting the water level can determine it to be a lethal trap or a live catch in which you will need to be cautious and not get bit... a floating stick may also give them something a float to hold onto if you want to keep them alive.
--
Lar

They live outside right, so why bother them.

They eat up the garden, and when they do get into the house it's a nasty deal. Check previous posts regarding that issue. Personally my recommended solution is this:
http://www.pyramidair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id66
Works like a charm on little buggers.....
m Ransley wrote:

They get in the house. They carry diseases and can cause damage to electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need to be controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the house.
That's why.

They undermine footings and foundations in addition to putting ankle breaking holes in the ground...
A cage trap is the solution. Catch 'em and relocate 'em a few miles away.
They dont put ankle breaking holes in the ground, their holes are to small, they dont eat my garden or undermine foundations, but I agree with them getting in the house is bad, so is their chirp loud.

Dog friendly? Isn't the dog the solution? -- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times www.moondoggiecoffee.com

My dog is fast, but she can't catch a chipmunck. Have you ever seen the chipmunk run and hop? They are super fast.

RobertPatrick wrote:

My lazy, old cat gets them. I guess they must make a nice lunchtime snack. She eats everything except the tail.

-snip-
Dogs chase-- cats wait.
Jim
Stubby wrote:

I think the cat leaves the tail as a trophy. I remember coming home from a trip and finding that the semiferal stray who lived under the garage had laid out five squirrel-tails in a row on the front porch, just as neat as you please.
The rat snake, on the other hand, would eat the whole thing. Neither seemed much interested in chipmunks though, they both seemed to prefer gray squirrels.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
JJ wrote:

Rodenator not only effective, but fun as well. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2149652953103091786&q=rodenator&pl=true
Eric in North TX wrote:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2149652953103091786&q=rodenator&pl=true
their tunnels can go a long way, while someone gets their jollies they might just break a water, sewer, or other line.
a tunnel might allow the gas to enter your home, what you do to their home can happen to yours too.
killing of small defensless creatures..... so sad