Chipmunk Damage

I have a problem with chipmunks burrowing around the stoop at the front entryway of my home. Go to this link to download the pictures: http://members.cox.net/kvm.online.files/Chipmunk+Damage+Pics.zip . The pictures are in JPEG format and the total size of the zipped file is almost 9MB.
What I would like to know is how I can repair the damage done and at the same time implement something that would keep the little critters from digging there again. I have my own ideas, but wanted to get opinions from others as I have never had to deal with a problem like this.
Thanks in advance for any useful advice that is offered.
Steve,
I assume you're referring to using a gun. I live in an area where it is illegal to discharge a gun. Additionally, it would not be a very effective remedy as:
01) it doesn't address the damage already done 02) you would have to wait too long to shoot them 03) shooting them may not get all of them
I would rather come up with a way to discourage them from burrowing in the first place. I have a Rat Zapper, an electronic device that electrocutes chipmunks and other similar size rodents. I will use the Rat Zapper to attempt to control the chipmunks in addition to whatever method I decide to implement to discourage them from burrowing around my stoop.

Around here now, the most popular form of chimunk control is the 17HMR. The 22LR is a close second.
They are also pretty good at ground squirrels, tree rats (squirrels) and ground hogs. With the coyote population exploding here, we will see if the 17HMR is as good as they claim on those. If you use the 20gr Hornaday hollow points and not the poly tipped HPs, they tend to pass throgh them and not do any damage. Get the poly tipped 17or 18gr rounds and have a little exploding chipmunk party.

Ahh...sorry about that.

True, but still its fun to blast the little bastards..

A couple of my neighboors installed what he called a thumper...I have never needed anything like it, but its supposed to send out these low frequency thumps that is supposed to drive them out. Must have worked...I got em all over here.
snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com wrote:

They were around the area where I moved. I did have a few sneak into the craw space and do some minor damage. I am planning on getting the craw space concreted to eliminate that problem and help out with a couple of others.
At this time the chipmunks have not been a problem or even seen for a few years. We now have at least three neighbor cats who patrol the area, two during the day (Pouncer & Honey) and one (Martin) at night. They seem to have taken care of the little guys. I have also noticed owls and hawks around and I would guess they get their share as well.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia\'s Muire duit
snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com wrote:

Think cat.
On 3 Apr 2005 21:31:56 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com wrote:

I tried a Rat Zapper on my munks and it didnt work. To save on batteries, the zapper shuts down and blinks its red LED once it's delivered the so called "fatal" electric shock. I found that the munks around my place would just scurry on out of the trap afterwards and laugh at the tickling they just got. I never caught a single one, though I saw several go in and come right back out.
The best way to get them is with a plain old snap rat trap.
dickm
I was able to kill one last year using a Rat Zapper. The bait I used (Pecan Surprise?) supposedly is irresistable to them, but the ants love it too so I've kind of given up on using the bait. I tried pine nuts, but when I checked on the Rat Zapper the next day, the pine nuts were gone, but no dead chipmunk.
dicko wrote:

it
very
in