Chip Munks Gettting in my Walls?

Hi All: I'm not sure what's going on but occassionally I hear scratching in what appears to be the ceiling between my first and secon floor. There is no access to this area (for humans). Anyway, we have tons of chip munks burrowing in the ground out side my front (concrete block) stairs. I'm thinking that the could be burrowing in back of the stairs where it meets the house and going through a faciar board into the wall cavity. Anyone have experience with this. So far what ever it is it only made a sound twice, and at night, and is not anywhere in the finished area of the house. I'm really puzzled over this one.

Reply to
Finite Guy

Sure Chipmunks, Flying Squirrels , Squirrels , Bats , Rats Mice. Get out the traps, when you give up get out the poison. Its their house you will have a hard time of it. Just sealing a burrow wont do it. They dig another. Ive been at war for years. Im at the poison level. You have babies inside , you wont keep them away, they will eat through even solid 4x4s to get home

Reply to
m Ransley

Just a thought: I have a cement block foundation. I'm wondering if there is missing cement between blocks below grade and their getting in that way. I've lived in this house for 25 years and this is the first time I've had this problem and the first year I have seen chipmunks outside.

Would they try to knaw through walls to get into any particular room?

We have a caged parakeet and I'm concerned that the bird will have a stroke if a chipmunk tried to get in his cages for food.

Reply to
Finite Guy

once thought I had the same problem...turned out to be my wife grinding her teeth in her sleep.

Reply to
TSLtrek

If block is above grade then look at the wood they wont eat through cement. Look at your gutter facia and roof. They won`t bother birds. But they will tunnel 30ft+ easily. I had flying squirrels eat into 2 bedrooms twice this year, I caged one. They are harmless. Flying Squirrels are common, you just dont see them , they are nocturnal.

Reply to
m Ransley

I had this happen once. Drove me crazy at night. I placed several DCon feeder trays in the attic, and the noise stopped after two days. It turned out that squirrels where crossing the telephone line to the chimney, then up to a hole they chewed into the attic space. One month later, I repaired the hole and covered the area with hardware cloth. You may have to call an exterminator if poison or traps don't work for you.

Reply to
Phisherman

A 4-ft. blacksnake in the wall will take care of all vermin - - don't laugh, my uncle was overrun with squirrels and chipmunks in the walls until a snake moved in................

Reply to
rj

If your house has vinyl siding, they may be climbing up those nice hollow vinyl corner posts. I stuffed stainless steel wool up into each one and sprayed some expandable insulating foam to close the ends.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Reply to
Finite Guy

Not usually. Outside stairs are usually installed after the house is sheathed, therefore, the stairs and trim are attached to the frame through the sheathing. A small rodent can squeeze through any hole or gap that will allow its head to fit. That can be as small as 1/2 inch, or smaller, depending upon the rodent. Check all around the house for any gaps or utility holes that are not sealed.

Reply to
Bill Schnakenberg

Reply to
Finite Guy