Chinese knockoffs.

Page 1 of 3
Has this become very common lately? I know that dollar stores have always sold Chinese crap and I have avoided that. But recently I ordered an extra wall plug in for our Iphone 5's and it wasn't an Apple product. Ordered from Ebay. Never again. The thing was a joke! The prongs on it looked weird and wouldn't even go into the outlet.
Just now I needed to order a new GE stove burner. Seems that the same thing is happening over at Amazon. I had seen on the news that there have been complaints of knockoffs. Well, it seems that they are doing it with stove burners. Show a picture of the genuine GE thing but that's not what people are getting. At least that's what the reviews say.
I once had a burner go bad in an old apartment. Not sure how old the stove was. Probably pretty old. I had walked into the other room when all of a sudden I heard what sounded like one of those whistling fireworks. Whistling Pete/Piccolo Pete. I looked towards the noise, saw blue sparks hitting the ceiling, then heard a "bang". All went silent. No more sparks, but I then hear water. It was water leaking out of my pan that I was boiling pasta in. Somehow the very tip (outside of coil) became super heated and literally blew right off, shooting sparks and shooting a hole in my pan! Landlord fixed the stove for me.
But after witnessing that, there is no way I am taking a chance on a Chinese knockoff. I ordered straight from GE where I know I am getting the right thing.
Now that I think of it, it's not just electrical things. I ordered what I thought were Tom's shoes from their outlet. What I got was a joke. Tiny shoes that maybe appeared from a distance to be that brand but were very poorly made.
This is frustrating, especially if I need something that I can't find in a store and have to get online. Anyone else been burned by bogus parts? Or other things?
On 06/18/2014 07:36 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

defiantly not cheap out for those 115v to USB adapters for iPhones. I've heard of people getting electrocuted.
Also, the cord itself for the iPhone is a piece of crap...yes the genuine Apple product. Even though they will supposedly exchange it free...they only last a few months.
I got a Belkin cord for my wife and after four months there is no sign of wear. For all I know it's made in China too...but where ever it's made Belkin is a good product.
philo wrote:

Hi, What you mean? Apple is made in China too, LOL! Expect some quality stuff from Amazon or Dollar store? There are things you buy from there and things you go to specialty store. Chinese knock off has difference is quality too. Again you get what you pay for. An example, I have a high end home theater gear; AV receiver, speakers, all made in China. Their quality is very high justifying the high price. For an example look at the price for an Anthem AV receiver or Paradigm speakers.
On 06/18/2014 08:56 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

What I was trying to say is "made in China" is neither good or bad.
There is good quality and bad quality
On 6/18/2014 11:30 AM, philo wrote:

Some of the "bad" stuff is exactly to the specifications of a cheap US company that wants to make a lot of money selling junk from any source that is cheap.

IMO it is bad if it is a knockoff. They shouldn't advertise something as genuine Apple or genuine GE if it isn't.

Agree on the cords. I generally won't buy anything made in China. Okay I suppose for decorative things.
Julie Bove wrote:

In some cases, a part manufactured in China is all you're going to find so it's a toss up between 'genuine GE made in China' and 'GE knockoff made in China'.
Amazon seems good at dealing with the problem. I ordered 3 Photon microlights; 2 were Photon's and the third was a cuckoo. It worked but had an obscure Chinese battery and the light color was a little different. I emailed Amazon customer service, told them it was defective but it wasn't as advertised. They refunded the price and I noticed the third party distributor was no longer listed. I don't know how the 'sold by X fulfilled by Amazon' or 'sold and shipped by X' relationships work but Amazon does seem to prune the knockoff shops.
I very seldom look on eBay but other than the seller rating I think it's more of a crapshoot.

Aren't the I phones made in China ? I know some Apple products are.
It is just like most everywhere else, there are some good China items and some junk items.

They might be but if I am buying something that says it is Apple, then it had darned well better BE Apple!
On 6/18/2014 9:25 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

The major issue is cheap counterfeits marketed as the genuine article. If they're not marketed as genuine/OEM parts, then it is strictly buyer beware. There are wide variances in quality of manufacture and you have no way of knowing if it is a quality product before purchasing it. An awful lot of third party electrical/electronic goods manufactured in China are either not UL certified or have counterfeit UL certifications.
When a foreign company to contract with a Chinese manufacturer to produce their product, it's fairly common for the manufacturer to not only manufacture the genuine product, but to then make and sell knockoff versions of the product, usually produced with inferior materials or modified designs. Worst case scenario is when the Chinese manufacturer sees the market opportunity for a new product from a small overseas company and steals the design and market share by making and marketing their own versions of the product while deliberately stalling the production of the official product for that company that came up with it in the first place. That happened to a small local company in my area.
Intellectual property theft is huge in China. It's one of the prices companies pay for having their goods produced there. Basically, for every legitimate unit produced, they can expect to have a number of illegitimate units produced, sold out the back door, and competing with their own products.
Julie Bove wrote:

Last Sunday (Father's Day) all the greeting cards I received were Hallmark's, but the last line of the fine print on the back of each one said it was manufactured in China.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

My husband once wanted to buy a watch for his mom. He told the clerk that he wanted one made in the USA. She just sort of blinked at him. Said there were none.
I don't really even care where things are made. I know that the USA doesn't produce much any more and if it is produced here, it's likely to be very expensive.
I just don't want people selling things and claiming them to be something that they're not.
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:41:40 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

If you have a link to this Amazon listing, I'm sure we'd all be interested in seeing it. From what you've said, I believe what you're saying is:
1 - You didn't actually buy a burner there, just read reviews.
2 - The listing shows a picture of a GE burner, but the one they ship is not GE.
It would be interesting to see the whole thing, in context. If they are doing what is claimed, then people should be complaining to Amazon, asking for their money back, etc. And if they don't correct it, Amazon should shut them down.
As for the USA not making much of anything, that's not true. We are the second largest manufacturer in the world, with China only recently having past us. Just because we don't make cheap consumer products, doesn't mean we aren't building computers, microprocessors, airplanes, power plants, etc.

Let me see if I can find it again.
Here is one that claims it is an exact replacement.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)03222309&sr=8-1&keywords=ge+6%22+burner
Here's another.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)03222309&sr=8-7&keywords=ge+6%22+burner
No reviews on this one but clearly not GE.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)03222309&sr=8-2&keywords=ge+6%22+burner
Here's another.
There are many more. So many more that opted not to buy this from Amazon at all.
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 8:02:18 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:

For the above, it says in the title "Exact Replacement". To me that only means that it conforms to the correct form, fit and function. And in the description it clearly says "Generic Ers30m1 Ge Range Surface Elements" Generic sure doesn't mean GE to me.
It's like buying a heater hose for a 2005 Honda. If it's says exact replacement, it means the hose fits, nothing special needs to be done. It doesn't mean it came from Honda.

That one shows the GE logo in the crude pic and also says "genuine GE" and "by GE"in the description. If that was not a real GE part, then I agree, it's fraud. People should complain and Amazon should boot them.

That one also says "by GE", so I'd say if it's not, then it's fraud too.

I don't blame you. I have no problem buying a decent aftermarket part. In autos it's done all the time. Independent repair shops use aftermarket parts all the time. Most are perfectly fine and cost half what the genuine BMW or whatever would cost. Some are even made by the same manufacturer. But when they try to trick you into believing that it's a real GE and it's not, I say it's fraud. Of those ads, the first was honest. the other two, if they are not real GE, then I say it's fraud.

That could be but people did say that it is in fact not an exact replacement as it doesn't fit right.

Yep. I agree. Alas, I saw this so many times on Amazon that I just wouldn't go that route.

Just like that POS John Deere riding mower I bought at the dealer and not at Lowes.. That model has a history of the transaxel going out after 300 or so hours. Mine did. That is the last thing I will buy from them.
Just junk made to the lowest standrd and price.
Many years ago Japan had a bad reputation for junk, but now many of the beter quality items can be bought from them, cars and electronics especially.
China has some good items also. YOu just have to pay for them. I have bought a few things from China off ebay and don't even see how they can ship it here for what they sell it for including shipping. The quality of the items was fine for the price I payed.
On 06/18/2014 11:02 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yep, I had mentioned that I bought 20 CMOS batteries directly from China
the total was $3.58 including postage
The local drugstore had them for $7 each !
Julie Bove wrote:

What makes you think the part you ordered from GE won't turn out to have been made in China?