Chinese drywall poses potential risks

I bet the drywall was sold everywhere there was a shortage. Building Products entering the US must meet US codes for buiding, saftey and health standards. Nobody knew this crap was poison except the guy supplying what is suspected as unscrubbed Fly Ash, its realy not the builders fault, its the manufacturers fault. The Chinese need to pay the damages, their gov needs to increase their public hangings and start castrations.

Reply to
ransley

And exactly what's wrong with bashing China? You sound as though you might be one that makes money from China's imports? Could that be the case? I deal with China's junk everyday. Matter of fact its a chore just to find stuff made in the USA. China can't even make something as simple as a wood screw that doesn't break when driven in WOOD! The sad fact you can't find a screw made in the USA. Thanks to the American People for making my life difficult for buying China shit!!!!!

Reply to
evodawg

There is a lot of hype here in SW Florida where this started but the real problem seems very limited and only really involves one drywall vendor and one builder, perhaps only one shipment of drywall. The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always latch onto a way to bash China.

Reply to
gfretwell

Didn't The Chinese Government recently execute those responsible for the melamine contamination of infant formula? The melamine was put in it to fool the test for protein content, if I remember correctly.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think the press in many countries loves to stir up hysteria in the dumb masses. Unfortunately those same dumb masses vote, so the government will often resort to some extremely asinine measures to assuage he fears of those same dumb masses. Asinine = expensive for all.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I have no problem with bashing China but it shouldn't automatically be a reason to panic Americans across the country about a problem that has really only been demonstrated in a few houses built by Lennar over a very short period of time in Cape Coral Florida. It is like that tomato scare that had millions of pounds of tomatoes thrown away over a problem that may have just been one shipment of tomatoes carried in one dirty truck.

Reply to
gfretwell

A sound call.

Reply to
Clot

Think it was more than 1 truck. I believe it was a producer in Mexico. It was the FDA and other agencies that kept trying to cover their ass that caused most of the scare. Panic, I have been hearing about this problem for the last 6 months and it's not just Florida and not just Lennar Homes. I just deal with Chinese crap everyday and it gets annoying.

Reply to
evodawg

Right. I've never seen a bit of wood stamped "For best results, painting is recommended" either.

A few years ago, a giant highway sign fell into the traffic lanes and did significant damage to the traffic. Investigation revealed that sub-standard bolts (from China or Walmart or somewhere) were used to hold it up.

I'm not sure, but I think the fix was to change the engineering specs to double the number of bolts rather than subject the bolts to failure testing.

You've got to adapt to what you've got.

Reply to
HeyBub

AP has a new article on it, its not the one listed subdivision everyone talks about. It could be 100,000 homes. It took years of them poisoning foods with Melamine, and many pet and human deaths until the chinese woke up. With summers heat and humidity complaimts will roll in as heat and high humidity activate it.

Reply to
ransley

So you say paint Cedar and PT is proper. Needing to seal drywall on all exposed areas with oil is improper. It would also likely more than double instalation costs. Whats next, poisonous chemicals in carpets and furniture, actualy that just happened in Europe with Chinese office chairs giving rashes.

Reply to
ransley

No, I didn't say that. I said I've never seen a bit of wood with that recommendation. Yet, for reasons seemingly unfathomable, many people do paint wood in spite of not being told to do so.

Yeah, I heard about that. Fortunately, injections are available for most allergic rashes.

Reply to
HeyBub

Very limited? Thousands of homes have it and you say very limited? After seeing what happens to copper pipes, I'd not want it in my house.

In your opinions, who should be bashed if not the China supplier?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, I don't think Chinese direct marketed the stuff in States. They just made them per order sheet. No matter what if there is a sheet installed that is one too many.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I don't blame the guy on the factory floor, but someone made the decision to cut corners in production. That bastard should pay.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"A few years ago, a giant highway sign fell into the traffic lanes and did significant damage to the traffic. Investigation revealed that sub- standard bolts (from China or Walmart or somewhere) were used to hold it up. I'm not sure, but I think the fix was to change the engineering specs to double the number of bolts rather than subject the bolts to failure testing. You've got to adapt to what you've got."

How many screws does it take to screw on a sign? Depends on how many people you get to screw.

Reply to
Molly Brown

There were a number of deaths, scattered around the country. Since e-coli or salmonella are really unpleasant ways to die, I can see the reason for caution. With mass marketing, there is more potential to have mass outbreaks from one contaminated product or facility mixing with huge amounts of product. If I am one small grower who sells to a wholesaler who sells to Dole, then I can mess up a large amount of food product. With modern medicine being what it is, there are thousands and thousands of people with immune system problems who live well until they get a dose of e-coli in their food or some arcane bacteria from water supply. Seafood is already mass contaminated, so dirtying the ocean has been accomplished. I read about sea otters off the coast of Oregon? dying from diseases carried by runoff - source: domestic cats.

Now, if folks could buy from local farms, sources would be much more identifiable and easy to contain.

Reply to
norminn

So if you bought a chinese chair that gave you a rash you would see a doctor. I wouldnt wast the time or money, Its likely poison in those chairs anyway, hundreds of bad chemicals give rashes, last time I spilled paint thinner on my pants I got a rash, so you say I should have gotten an alergy shot! I see it as poison, chinese negligence to saftey.

Reply to
ransley

So a couple of people with compromised immune systems died because they didn't wash their tomatoes. Let's panic the nation and throw $20.000,000 worth of food away.

50-60 years ago most tomatoes would have traces of E-coli or salmonella on them because the farmer was using manure for fertilizer and we all learned we had to wash them first. People also had antibodies that fought off those kinds of germs. Now we live in this nerf world where everything is expected to be 100% safe and we don't need to take any personal responsibility.
Reply to
gfretwell

No, I'm NOT saying you should get an allergy shot; that's only one possible solution.

You could buy Nomex underpants.

Geeze! Why do I have to think of evrything?

Reply to
HeyBub