Chinese drywall poses potential risks

Page 2 of 3

So if you bought a chinese chair that gave you a rash you would see a doctor. I wouldnt wast the time or money, Its likely poison in those chairs anyway, hundreds of bad chemicals give rashes, last time I spilled paint thinner on my pants I got a rash, so you say I should have gotten an alergy shot! I see it as poison, chinese negligence to saftey.
ransley wrote:

No, I'm NOT saying you should get an allergy shot; that's only one possible solution.
You could buy Nomex underpants.
Geeze! Why do I have to think of evrything?

That would about double the cost of instalation, and remember an oil base cant be the first coat on drywall, so you advocate 3 coats on every side to seal out harmfull unscrubbed fly ash contaminents. This issue may be be affecting 100,000 homes acording to AP. Copper and other metals turn black in a few months from unscrubbed Fly Ash sulfer based contaminents. No point to paint and "try" to seal in poison, it should not have been sold. USG uses Fly Ash, but its scrubbed first. Its just another instance of Chinese doing anything and selling poison, for a buck
ransley wrote:

You're right. My mistake.
THREE coats of sealant would be appropriate.
Then you're good to go.

Yes, that's for sure. If anyone had known they had to give it a couple coats of oil based paint on both sides to seal it, they never would have bought the stuff. There couldn't be a big enough diff in price for any builder to go through all that hassle.

I think it would increase the cost by at least ten fold. Someone would have to put each sheet on saw horses, prime them, wait for the primer to dry, put first coat on, put second coat on and then install. If the sheets needed to be cut, the cut edges would need the same labor and time intensive treatment. It would be VASTLY cheaper to just throw the bad sheets away! -- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!
HeyBub wrote:

backside of drywall painted before it goes up. How absurd. They take it out of the stack, cut it, and screw it up. Exactly where and when would this backside painting be done? Not like a construction site has a lot of room to lay it out and paint it. What you propose would bring the interior finish work to a halt for days at a time.
Or were you just being sarcastic?
Bottom line, the builders screwed up by using product of unknown quality, and it came back to bite them in the ass. If real drywall wasn't available, they should have postponed finishing the houses (or even starting them, since a half-built house cost money on the financing), or gone with alternative wall coverings. For the sick houses, a gut job on the walls, and changing out any other items that were damaged by the outgassing, is the only solution. Ain't gonna be cheap. -- aem sends...

I bet the drywall was sold everywhere there was a shortage. Building Products entering the US must meet US codes for buiding, saftey and health standards. Nobody knew this crap was poison except the guy supplying what is suspected as unscrubbed Fly Ash, its realy not the builders fault, its the manufacturers fault. The Chinese need to pay the damages, their gov needs to increase their public hangings and start castrations.
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 10:39:08 -0700 (PDT), ransley

There is a lot of hype here in SW Florida where this started but the real problem seems very limited and only really involves one drywall vendor and one builder, perhaps only one shipment of drywall. The problem is the TV networks love a crisis and people will always latch onto a way to bash China.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And exactly what's wrong with bashing China? You sound as though you might be one that makes money from China's imports? Could that be the case? I deal with China's junk everyday. Matter of fact its a chore just to find stuff made in the USA. China can't even make something as simple as a wood screw that doesn't break when driven in WOOD! The sad fact you can't find a screw made in the USA. Thanks to the American People for making my life difficult for buying China shit!!!!!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

I have no problem with bashing China but it shouldn't automatically be a reason to panic Americans across the country about a problem that has really only been demonstrated in a few houses built by Lennar over a very short period of time in Cape Coral Florida. It is like that tomato scare that had millions of pounds of tomatoes thrown away over a problem that may have just been one shipment of tomatoes carried in one dirty truck.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think the press in many countries loves to stir up hysteria in the dumb masses. Unfortunately those same dumb masses vote, so the government will often resort to some extremely asinine measures to assuage he fears of those same dumb masses. Asinine = expensive for all.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

A sound call.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Think it was more than 1 truck. I believe it was a producer in Mexico. It was the FDA and other agencies that kept trying to cover their ass that caused most of the scare. Panic, I have been hearing about this problem for the last 6 months and it's not just Florida and not just Lennar Homes. I just deal with Chinese crap everyday and it gets annoying.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

There were a number of deaths, scattered around the country. Since e-coli or salmonella are really unpleasant ways to die, I can see the reason for caution. With mass marketing, there is more potential to have mass outbreaks from one contaminated product or facility mixing with huge amounts of product. If I am one small grower who sells to a wholesaler who sells to Dole, then I can mess up a large amount of food product. With modern medicine being what it is, there are thousands and thousands of people with immune system problems who live well until they get a dose of e-coli in their food or some arcane bacteria from water supply. Seafood is already mass contaminated, so dirtying the ocean has been accomplished. I read about sea otters off the coast of Oregon? dying from diseases carried by runoff - source: domestic cats.
Now, if folks could buy from local farms, sources would be much more identifiable and easy to contain.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 06:51:14 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

So a couple of people with compromised immune systems died because they didn't wash their tomatoes. Let's panic the nation and throw $20.000,000 worth of food away. 50-60 years ago most tomatoes would have traces of E-coli or salmonella on them because the farmer was using manure for fertilizer and we all learned we had to wash them first. People also had antibodies that fought off those kinds of germs. Now we live in this nerf world where everything is expected to be 100% safe and we don't need to take any personal responsibility.
On Apr 12, 2:23pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

AP has a new article on it, its not the one listed subdivision everyone talks about. It could be 100,000 homes. It took years of them poisoning foods with Melamine, and many pet and human deaths until the chinese woke up. With summers heat and humidity complaimts will roll in as heat and high humidity activate it.

Very limited? Thousands of homes have it and you say very limited? After seeing what happens to copper pipes, I'd not want it in my house.
In your opinions, who should be bashed if not the China supplier?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I don't think Chinese direct marketed the stuff in States. They just made them per order sheet. No matter what if there is a sheet installed that is one too many.
wrote in message

I don't blame the guy on the factory floor, but someone made the decision to cut corners in production. That bastard should pay.