Chinese Cars

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:24:34 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Nothing to forgive. I admire their determination and tenacity.
They'll iron out the bugs in their social & political systems as they grow more prosperous and affluent.
Just like we did.

I always find it very interesting the passions stirred up where China is concerned. Do read this other story at the high end of technology and engineering competition.
The ultimate global battle Boeing Versus Airbus by John Newhouse The jumbo jet is the icon of globalization; the competition between Boeing and Airbus is the iconic rivalry. A major theme of this excellent business book is how the US company has had to rethink and reshape its business practices to match more closely those of Airbus. On a larger scale, it is not unlike what the US will have to do to compete with another upstart, China. - Benjamin A Shobert (Aug 24, '07)
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/IH25Dj03.html
Quote: Second, by outsourcing large portions of the 787, Boeing sent a strong message to its workforce about what the company was prepared to do in case it had labor problems on its hands again.
Newhouse expands on this second point when he writes, "There is no evidence, however, that Boeing is saving much money by outsourcing the 787's wing or sections of the fuselage. Japan is not a cheap labor market. To the contrary. Neither is Italy. But the outsourcing does send a message to the unions that Boeing deals with. It says: 'If you mess too hard with us, we can always outsource your job to another place'" (p 169).
China puts poison in the cars....same as the food.

You don't get to sleep well do you?
PaPaPeng wrote:

Newhouse may have written it, but it doesn't necessarily mean his interpretation is correct. Mostly these global deals for manufacturing have been negotiated arrangements w/ the associated countries made as part of market access deals.

If the posts in this thread is any indication much of your (America's) problems is the inability to recognize that the only way to compete is to do it better and cheaper. That is unless you have a monopoly product like large passenger aircraft. Even then the comfort zone didn't last too long as the Airbus vs Boeing story showed.
I would have thought by now people would have realized that patriotism doesn't count for much when one pulls out a wallet to pay for a purchase. Demonizing a competitor is even less effective.
Now I don't have a formula for how to become better and cheaper else I would have practiced it myself pronto. Its when I see the same tired old denials as appears in this thread and elsewhere I take some comfort in that America and the EU doesn't have a plan of any description to stop the China juggernaut.
The strategic goal of China is to improve the lives of its peoples. At present there are at least 600 millions who have less than a dollar a day. That is already twice the population of the US. It will take at least 20 years if not more to lift these people out of poverty. That is a massive task for a very modest gain. So don't expect China to change its present course - low wages, slave work conditions, cutting corners, etc. - on a dime because you demand that China adopt the same factory floor conditions you have in the West. Work conditions will improve of course, but based on realities on the ground. If you insist on western standards now that can be easily accommodated by setting up special sanitized zones to manufacture only for your market. You wouldn't like the price penalties.
Its close enough to Christmas to watch how the present campaign against Made in China will play out. My bet is that it will be like any fad of the season and die a quiet death. On the other hand you have a presidential election campaign season coming up. Bashing China is a pretty safe headline getter. Well we'll have to let the monthly trade volume and financial figures tell the real story.
PaPaPeng wrote:

...<snip mindless extolling of Chinese...>...
The competitive stance of Boeing vis a vis Airbus is back in favor of Boeing at present based on sales. The aforementioned arrangements w/ various places (including China) for the parceling out of work for Boeing products are readily available. IIRC, a similar arrangement was reached not long ago w/ the Chinese as well...

garner sales of the final product to that company. Simple economics, airplanes cost mucho millions and each one they sell more than makes up for the absurd outsourcing model they employ.