chinese booby traps

Page 1 of 2
this is not meant to be racist in any way, but im sure we all have had some tools that are flawed by design, and many of them seem to come from china. my friend has a theory that they do it on purpose and calls them chinese booby traps. yeah yeah, there are better tools, but sometimes you just need something cheap that works well enough, right now.
i have a tape measure with a button on it. if you let it out a ways, then press that button to retract it, your finger is 100% guaranteed to take a serious whacking or slicing when the tape runs itself in. it was designed to make sure it takes out whatever is in the area of the button.
then theres the rachet i almost took my hand off with because the mechanism broke as soon as any real force was applied, sending my hand into the block. ouch.
anybody else got any chinese booby traps worth mentioning?
randy

Nope, as I *never* knowingly buy Chinese-made tools. They're all crap.

who says i bought any of them? <g>
actually i did buy the tape measure for a buck. for a job i was doing, there was a good chance of it falling a great distance so i didnt want to sacrifice the nice ones i own. i didnt need hyper accurate, just repeatable. it did the job...
but man, you press that button, it reels in til about 2' are left then it jumps at ya! its since been resigned to a gag for the uninitiated... the funny thing is you dont even have to trick people, they just dont believe its that vicious and have to see for themselves!
randy
I vote for the laser level that sticks to the wall with 2 really sharp pins. THe pins are activated by a lever that looks just like a on-off switch. I don't know of anyone who has picked it up and not punctured themselves.

what family can you probably thank for the trade with china that resulted in you acquiring any defective chinese made tools you have? http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/FE21Ad01.html
you think you'e gonna get the good stuff from china with those kind of connections?
people have been known to throw away defective tools, since you didn't buy them, just how did you acquire the defective tools?
some may argue at least neil got some fun from the family connections, eh? http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2003/11/28/2003077560
contrary to other comments in this thread, china can and does manufacture tools as good as any other superpower country, usa included

let go of your adjenda man, and lighten up.
randy

if i were any lighter i'd float
now back to why you're complaining about tools you didn't buy,,,what's that all about?

i just started a thread about tools that will hurt you by design. see if anyone else has some of these interesting booby traps. jmanger gets it... you jump in with all this stuff about china and the trade. seemed a little agressive...
randy

you insinuate within your original post your comments are "not meant to be racist in any way"
then you specifically target chinese people, insinuating the chinese intentionally design tools that harm humans: - citing your "friend" who "has a theory that they do it on purpose and calls them chinese booby traps" - while you state about a tool made in china which you used "it was designed to make sure it takes out whatever is in the area of the button"
now look at the two definitions of racist per www.dictionary.com :
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. 2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.
see yourself anywhere in there?
you go on to mention you paid one dollar for a tape measure you apparently expected more out of than you got (comical, given the price you paid)
you skirt the issue of why you, obviously not a chinese person in china, wound up with defective tools from china
china does not have the quality control in its manufacturing processes that the western world is accustomed to, having its first product recall ever in 2001 or 2002, for example
how do you think china is able to export tools of inferior design or lacking the quality control you may be accustomed to, so that you can wind up with the tools?
who do you think negotiated the trade deals that resulted in you getting defective chinese made tools?
market driven societies ensure if you buy inexpensive, defectively designed tools, like you did, they will become more prevalent than more expensive, less defective tools
"a bad carpenter blames his tools"
P L O N K !
effi, get a life.
randy

You really are quite a humorless pain in the butt effi.
Oh, that's right I got plonked last week.
Subject: Re: chinese booby traps - "a bad carpenter blames his tools" Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Avery <= wrote:>>

Heh.. Welcome to the club.
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
this interesting note:

Or put another way: "Bad money drives out good."

Oh, bullshit. Virtually every tool I've ever seen that was made in Communist China is a piece of garbage: inferior steel, shoddy workmanship, poor construction, incompetent welding, substandard finishing, sloppy tolerances on machined parts, or all of the above. In short, _far_ inferior to what comes out of any of the industrial democracies. Hell, even _Italian_ goods are better than that crap.
Taiwan is, of course, a different story. Any capitalist economy will produce better-quality merchandise than any communist economy. Period.
Oh, and by the way... Red China is a starving third-world dictatorship that happens to have nuclear weapons. It's not a superpower. There's only one of those in the world any more: the United States.
(only the irrelevant snipped) (end of quote)
report to your television set for programming
effi wrote:

You foolish left wing Bush haters just never give up do you? no matter how wild the story, how ridiculous or scripted, you idiots just keep on spewing hate. Well, keep it up, its how we Republicans win elections. What a moron. Eric
--
57 channels and nothin's on

you right wing morons are such sore winners. while the whole country is the losers.
praise the lord and pass that god damned ammunition!!!! dont worry how much it costs, jesus says its ok and the govnment is paying.
randy

How could any Bush hater be foolish? the man is a IDIOT its obvious even the republicans can see he is a dim bulb

I think you got that backwards.
Even a Dim Bulb can see he's a Republican.
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB
xrongor wrote:

Yeah, my motorhome. Was traveling the interstate and decided to get a cup of coffee and the damn thing crashed because of Chinese engineers. Pure BS, just like your post.