Chimney Sweeping

Are these Chimney sweeping logs any good? Also, could use some brush sweeping tips, when and how to.

The logs do burn longer than if you just burned the dollar bills you paid for them so yes, they are good.
Brushing is really not all that hard once you are up on the roof safely with the brush and rods. You just start at the top and work down, adding extensions as you go. Use about 15 to 18" strokes. Push, pull, repeat as necessary.
How often depends on how much you burn, types of wood, dryness of wood, temperature, type of appliance (stove, fireplace, etc). In my case, once a year from the roof is enough, but, during the course of the winter I'll take the stove pipe off and clean the first couple of feet above the thimble with a rod. That accounts for 90% of my buildup. That may or may not work for you. Keep an eye on it every couple of weeks.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

a weight(s) attached to the bottom than using rods. 3 old window weights duct taped together is enough weight to pull the brush down my chimney/fireplace flue from the roof. It's easier for me to handle the weight, brush and rope than wrestle with an armful of extention rods on the roof........cheaper too.

while your up there check chimney cap for condition.
I think having a PRO run a camera thru the flue every 5 years or so is good insurance espically if your chimney isnt lined, thats just bricks.
better safe than sorry

Not really. Soot fastens to the chimney interior more by mechanical means than chemical means -- so we need mechanical action (with a stiff brush) to bring soot down into the hearth, whence it can be removed.
Hardware stores sell chimney brushes to fit (two sizes) and screw-in extension rods. I have only two extension rods (4 ft. each) thus can reach only 8 feet up in this two-storey chimney -- but think it worth brushing once or twice in mid-season, besides summer-time cleaning by professional sweeps. (I burn about 100 days a year.)
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs