Chimney, Shingles - Earthquake Damage

Hi gang!

Just talked to son in Indiana today, for first time since the earthquake (about a month ago?) He just noticed that some shingles around his chimney appear pushed up and thinks, perhaps, the quake might have caused movement of the chimney. He said the morning of the quake, he woke from a very sound sleep because it sounded like someone trying to break in, kind of like the thumping of a washing machine when the load isn't balanced. Wow! I've been through some very mild ones, but nothing like that. He has full basement, with wide fireplace in basement, so it is probably pretty sturdy. On end of house. Can a chimney like that move that much without cracking? he hasn't looked real close, but is very good about taking care of the house and does lots of his own work.

The only quakes I have experienced didn't make a sound, other than knick-knacks rattling on the shelf or dishes on the dinner table. Do quakes make a sound like that without structural sounds? Eek!

Reply to
Norminn

I awoke one night in Las Vegas to a sound. Then tremble came along and the shaking. A local in Reno, NV described his as a vehicle hitting the house.

In a Sports Bar 11 miles away, the moved customers outside when the bottles shook :)

Listening to Earthquakes Created by Andy Michael, USGS, and Daniel Ross, 12 year old USGS Volunteer for Science.

......... To learn about this we will convert the shaking during earthquakes to sound and then listen to the sounds.

Converting Shaking to Sound

Oren

NOAA

Oren

NOAA

Sorry! A link to the sounds. Tiny *.wav files.

Oren

The one that I heard sound from sounded like a big truck backing up just outside. Then the shaking arrived.

Reply to
Bob F

Those are the first and third waves. The first sound; is rocks and earth cracking. Third is the shaking. The second wave is described like a limp rope.

When the third wave arrives, you feel like it's a roller coaster.

Reply to
Oren