chimney scarifying

I have a 60 year old chimney in my house that is square brick built. It gets swept twice a year by the local council and has not shown to have any problems to date, except for the odd small piece of what looks like pointing coming down very occasionally. There is a Charmwood multi fuel stove fitted and I only ever burn coal. The problem is, the council have decided for the first time in 60 years, that they want to scarify the chimney, and I am worried that this may cause damage and lead them to condem the chimney, which is operating perfectly at the moment. Could you please advise me on this.
Tom.

Do they give a reason? Creosote is a potential problem, but burning coal you should have minimal chimney problems and sweeping is good maintenance. It should be inspected, of course, but to scarify it with no logical reason is just wrong.
If mortar is coming down, it should be inspected and repaired as needed.
tammac,stove,register plate,soot wrote:

Your city council has run out of things with which to meddle. I assume all the parking problems, loud noises, houses of disrepute, pocket-parks, traffic signals, and school cross-walks have been honed to perfection.
It's going to cost somebody something to dig around in everybody's chimney. I'd total up the charges, then ask the town council if they really intend to take $2,000,000 out of the local economy to detect or correct a non-problem.

I just wanna know who's nephew just got a job scarifying chimneys...
What is "scarifying" a chimney?
AND
Why does the "local council" have anything to do with YOUR chimney?
--
Steve Barker

"tammac,stove,register plate,soot" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:43:04 -0600, "Steve Barker"
Scarifying is like terrifying, but scarier.