Chimney repair on a slate roof

Hi all - I'm new to google groups so bear with me. :)

Quick question - my wife and I bought our house last fall knowing we need some chimney work. I've done a fair amount of work on my old house (including painting the chimney).. now, the actual chimney work that needs to be done isn't really the problem. Someone painted the chimney and the paint is peeling and taking pieces of the brick/ masonry with it. I intend to scrape the chimney, get all of the loose crap off, and repaint it with some top quality masonry paint (suggestions?).

I had a quote from a gentleman last fall to do this work for about $1000. Not easily deprived of my $1000 for such easy work, I've decided to tackle the project myself. Here's the problem; the chimney is located smack in the center of a slate roof. Obviously I can't walk on the slate without damaging it. I was going to buy a couple of ladder hooks and essentially sit on the ladder which is handing off of the ridge in order to do this work. The thing is, I'm not convinced this won't damage the roof. I understand that it disperses my weight, but in all likelihood I'll have some contact with the slate. How likely am I to damage the slate? Any tips I should know about for trying to work up on the slate roof?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
chad.richard

Thanks for the laugh. You don't want to be deprived of $1000 for such easy work, yet you can't figure out how to do it.

If the paint is peeling, I doubt it is taking brick with it. If the brick is falling apart, it may take the paint with it. This is a case of finding out the real problem and cause. It may not be so simple and water may be causing even more damage.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm not a roof man by any means...depends how steep the roof is, the steeper the roof, the more weight will be on the hooks and maybe your shingles will not break.

Even if you hire someone, under these circumstances, make sure you have it in writing that no damage will be done. Even would put a time span on it, as the guy may crack a shingle and fix it with some chewing gum. A week later it will fall off.

RichK

Reply to
RichK