chimney repair

In a few places around my chimney the cement between the bricks has fallen out. At the local hardware store I can purchase tubes of cement that the manufacture claims can be used to address this problem. Is there a downside to this? Should I hire someone to remove the old cement and repoint it? Is there something I should do prior to applying the product other than removing the old cement? The chimney is in use. One side is for the fireplace and the other for an oil furnace.
Get a pro to clean ,grind and tuckpoint, caulk will cause moisture to be held in place and when it freezes it will expand and make more damage , If you can see damage now it could be a big job, internaly the mortar could be shot.
John Doe wrote:

What is the condition of the bricks? Are they in good condition. If so, it is ok just to clean out the joints and repoint them. If you decide to do it yourself, get yourself a pointing trowel.
-- Take out the trash to reply