Don, if you follow the thread, I never suggested throwing expensive
fixes at minor problems. I suggested that he get a chimney inspector
over to do an inspection on a 50 year old chimney, with unkown
history, that is showing signs of problems. A chimney inspection
isn't expensive. Sure, it could very well just be leaking
flashing. Or it could be that and/or a deteriorated chimney, which
he'll never know without having it inspected. Based on what might be
found, I then gave some alternatives, as did Hallerb.
So don't go making assumptions about my background and experience and
I won't make any about your experience or qualifications. I'd like
to see one reference from any credible source that says having an
inspection done on a 50 year old chimney with totally unknown history
that is showing signs of problems is a bad idea. What exactly is
wrong with that? Quite the contrary, you'll find that the available
info would encourage having an inspection done. I already provided a
link that shows alleged expert Moe is clueless about chimneys when he
claimed I was wrong and steel chimney liners are never used in HVAC
applications. So, maybe I know a bit more than you think.
If I bought this house 2 years ago I would have an inspection done
without any signs of problems because I believe in knowing what I have
and fixing things before they become major problems, especially where
safety is a factor. Suppose the 50 year old chimney has a nest or
debris blocking most of the opening? You'd prefer not to know?
On 3 Mar 2007 05:19:39 -0800, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
I have followed the thread. Let's agree that the problem is moisture
(proven by the tell tale signs of brownish staining ) Let's also agree
that the problem is between the ceiling and the roof, as moisture is
subject to gravity.
As I don't know where this house is exactly, I'm not familiar with
purchasing practices. Where I am, it is common to have a building
inspected before purchase. The chimney should have been inspected at
that time. I doubt it was inspected as the original poster said he
went on the roof to discover silicone.....which would have been in the
building inspection synopsis.
With the make-shift patch of silicone on the roof, I'm 99% sure that
is the source of the problem. In fact, I have a hard time picturing a
leaking chimney spouting out heated air into the attic; meeting the
cold air and becoming frost, only to be reheated by the leaking
chimney to turn into moisture and flow down the outside of the chimney
through the insulation, and getting at the plaster.
I suspect that this problem started in the summer when it was raining
and has finally worked it's way to the plaster. Now a chimney
inspection would reveal this and for everyone's peace of mind I'll
agree.........but installing a new furnace and the such is just plain
How exactly is a nest or chimney blockage going to cause moisture??
Anyone who has dealt with any problems of this type, knows that to
make the above statement of being 99% certain of the cause of a
chimney water problem that you haven't even seen is foolish.
In fact, I have a hard time picturing a
Please stop trying to make it look like I said to install a new
furnace because of water showing up on the wall by his chimney,
because it's untrue. One more time:
I suggested he get his 50 year old chimney inspected. It seems you
think it should have been done when he purchased the house 2 years ago
and also that it's unlikely that it was done at that time. So,
what's your problem with having it inspected now?
And again, if you read what I posted, I only brought up the
possibility of considering a new high efficiency direct vent furnace
as an alternative if it's determined the chimney has serious problems
that require costly repairs. What's your problem with that?
On 3 Mar 2007 10:37:07 -0800, email@example.com wrote:
I'm 99% sure you have your head up your ass.
I'm 99% sure you also have no reading comprehension as I agreed with a
chimney inspection above.
I'm 99% sure that you're going to have the last word here as I'm done.
Hopefully the original got some info out of this prolonged thread.
Oh, yea.........how does chimney blockage cause moisture again??
Comments inserted, for the guy that can't figure out how to take the HTML
Just because you believe in putting in a new high efficiency furnace,
because there is a roof leak, doesn't mean everyone lacks as much common
sense as you lack.
And speaking about conditions of homes, I will post some interior and
exterior shots of my home, if you're willing to do the same. Let's go
You're pointing out something entirely irrelevant. You really don't have
any knowledge on maitaining a home, the more you open your mouth, the more
you show it.
You don't fix a roof leak, by putting in a high efficiency furnace!
LOL...geesh dude, you're dense.
Had the chimney pro out for a look.
The chimney is too large diameter for the furnace. This causes
condensation about halfway up the chimney, which is leaking out into
the plaster work. Chimney guy's solution was to place a liner inside
the chimney, and as predicted, this runs about $1K.
He did mention the option of replacing the furnace with a direct vent
furnace, but it is a new furnace ('03/04) and a relatively effecient
one, so I can't see replacing the furnace.
Line the chimney it is, then.
Good for you! Thanks for the update. All to often we don't hear how
things turn out.
And how sweet it is!
Heh Don, remember this gem:
"With the make-shift patch of silicone on the roof, I'm 99% sure that
is the source of the problem. " Doh!
Or how about that genius Moe, who said I was an idiot for suggesting
in my first post that you get an inspection and that condensation in
an oversize chimney might be the problem. Moe then ridiculed me for
suggesting a steel chimney liner might be used on a furnace for
exactly this problem? LOL
And of course, by doing the right thing and getting it inspected,
you've saved the chimney from failing do to the acidic flue gases
condensing and destroying it over time.
That;s my last word on this thread. I'm off to go snowboarding for a
few days. By all!!
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.