Chimney juice

Since I have been burning wood all the time I have a brown stain running down my roof from the chimney. Not that it bothers me that much but what would wash it off with little effort?

What kinds of wood are you burning? Pine, maybe?
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Because pine makes goo in your chimney. I'm not sure if I've burned all 4 of the ones you mentioned, but I've never had a brown stain around my chimney in 35 years.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Nope.
-snip-

I did for 30 yrs or so. Never had a brown stain. A stain would concern me as it is an indication that creosote is building up and leaking. Chimney fires are no fun-- or so I've heard.
I burned mostly seasoned hardwoods- but burned green wood in with it on occasion- as soon as I noticed any build-up I'd hold on the green wood until my chimney was clean again. I inspected my chimney frequently, but never had to drag anything through it.
Back to your original question-

I doubt anything will do it 'with little effort' - but your possibilities are limited by whether your roof is tin, galvanized, tile, cedar, asphalt. . . .
Jim

This depends on the chimney. Chimney fires damage masonry chimneys but ought not to damage modern double-walled metal stacks (UEL-tested to withstand temperatures of about 2000 Fahr., I think: you can easily reach 1000 Fahr. in a chimney fire.)
A chimney fire can seem terrifying, making a loud whoosh like a jet engine and the inner wall glowing red hot (and visible through ventilation holes in the outer pipe.) We had two in 15 years, with no apparent damage, each lasting 5 minutes or less before all the creosote was burned and blown out. Firemen who later checked out the stove and stack told us a fire like this is the fastest way to clean a chimney.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Don Phillipson wrote:

I stoke up a hot cardboard fire every couple weeks on a rainy day to clean out the metal liner in my chimney, which seem to keep the creosote from building up to problem levels. The whole process takes about 5 minutes.
It does make some awful smoke at the beginning of this process.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

screen on the sides. That may be it. I don't remember that stain the year before.

No cap on mine. Screened.

Any chemical strong evough to disolve it would probably damage many types of shingles. I wonder if a chimney fire should be of concern to you.
ransley wrote:

I clean my stove pipe monthly and chimney yearly, so no, not of concern to me.
On 4/21/2009 6:18 AM Van Chocstraw spake thus:

Are you sure the stain isn't rust from flashing or some other metal around the chimbley?
--
Save the Planet
Kill Yourself
David Nebenzahl wrote: