Chimney Inspection

My condo association requires a chimney inspection every two years. The bus iness managers say the inspector need have no certification nor licensure. At a minimum, I want whoever does this to check that the flue is not obstru cted. How can this be checked? I will probably have one of my handyperson f riends do this. Anything else that folks here can think of that should be c hecked.

Reply to
honda.lioness

Good grief!

If no credentials required, maybe just have the kid at McD's (that runs the french fryer) perform the inspection?

Reply to
Gustav

Why not just cut out the middle man and inspect it himself?

Reply to
Mr. Emann

No credentials? Get a flashlight and a mirror.

Call a local shop that sells woodstoves and the like for a recommendation for a chimney sweep. You may want to talk to neighbors and have a group done at the same time and save money.

They usually look for obstructions and cracks/leaks and a good cap securely attached.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The business managers say the inspector need have no certification nor licensure. At a minimum, I want whoever does this to check that the flue is not obstructed. How can this be checked? I will probably have one of my handyperson friends do this. Anything else that folks here can think of that should be checked.

Contact the city/county bldg & safety critters first and get their advice. Anybody can inspect anything, but for jobs relating to fire safety I lean toward paying a little extra for a state-recognized certification.

This is overkill, but full of good info and drawings...

0EQDamagedChimney.pdf
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

On Saturday, January 23, 2016 at 12:42:01 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

usiness managers say the inspector need have no certification nor licensure . At a minimum, I want whoever does this to check that the flue is not obst ructed. How can this be checked? I will probably have one of my handyperson friends do this. >Anything else that folks here can think of that should b e checked.

I'd recommend contacting your condo board and suggesting that they find one or two inspectors that are qualified, see if they can cut a deal with them, where they will do any inspection at your complex for a condo owner at X price. That would serve 3 purposes:

The inspector is qualified Each condo owner doesn't have to find one on their own, unless they want to Hopefully you get a little better deal

Plus if the same one or two inspectors is doing most of them, they will get more familiarity with possible problems that are particular to your complex.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

Good idea.

****** To the OP. What good is it if they have uncertified inspectors? That tells them nothing. You could print out a sheet paper that says Chimney inspector and sign off on yours. Are the inspectors licensed, insured, and responsible if there is an incident-fire, co poisoning that happens. Sounds like someone on the boards BIL needs a temp no responsibility job. Either that they are in the repair business. Who pays for the repairs?
Reply to
Tekkie®

Thank you for your ideas, Gustav, Mr. Emann, Snuffy, Trader_4 and Tekkie.

I went to the HOA's Rules and Regulations and see they require that the fir eplace and chimney be "professionally inspected." So I think I misunderstoo d what the business managers were saying. Supposedly one of the business ma nagers is coordinating an inspection day (or a couple days) for all condos needing the inspection, with a particular contractor. But I needed this don e, due to time commitments in the next two months which make it harder for me to be at home any old time. I went to CraigsList, called a few of the ch imney sweepers, and found what I think was a really good one. Explained the design of my fireplace, how to build a fire in it, what to do before retir ing at night with smoldering ashes and so on. (I never had a fireplace in m y adult life before.) My chimney was so clear he commented on the whistling (from wind) the instant he opened the damper and said he saw shiny steel m etal at the liner. Only cost me $30 plus a generous tip, beating all the co mpetition by a lot. Had a nice business card and explained he'd been cleani ng chimney since he was a teenager.

At a HOA forum, a couple folks reported fires in chimneys at their HOAs rec ently. They said it's been awful for the owners and neighbors alike. So des pite the annoyance, sounds like it's a prudent plan for any home. As you al l likely know well.

As always, I appreciate the support as I find my way in the mysteries of ho me repairs and ownership.

Reply to
honda.lioness

Thank you for your ideas, Gustav, Mr. Emann, Ed, Snuffy, Trader_4 and Tekki e.

I went to the HOA's Rules and Regulations and see they require that the fir eplace and chimney be "professionally inspected." So I think I misunderstoo d what the business managers were saying. Supposedly one of the business ma nagers is coordinating an inspection day (or a couple days) for all condos needing the inspection, with a particular contractor. But I needed this don e, due to time commitments in the next two months which make it harder for me to be at home any old time. I went to CraigsList, called a few of the ch imney sweepers, and found what I think was a really good one. He explained the design of my fireplace, how to build a fire in it, what to do before re tiring at night with smoldering ashes and so on. (I never had a fireplace i n my adult life before.) My chimney was so clear he commented on the whistl ing (from wind) the instant he opened the damper and said he saw shiny stee l metal at the liner. He had me look up there, too. It cost me only $30, an d I tipped him generously. He had a nice business card and explained he'd b een cleaning chimneys since he was a teenager.

At a HOA forum, a couple folks reported fires in chimneys at their HOAs rec ently. They said it's been awful for the owners and neighbors alike. So des pite the annoyance, sounds like it's a prudent plan for any home. As you al l likely know well.

As always, I appreciate the support as I find my way in the mysteries of ho me repairs and ownership.

Reply to
honda.lioness

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Now you sleep better and have control of your life.

Reply to
Tekkie®