Chimney height for a hot water heater

I put in a new hot water heater for the radiant heat in my garage. The pipe goes through the wall about 2' below the eave. Going straight up through the eave of my 7-12 roof. Do I have to be above the ridge line? If not then how high? Thanks for any and all help.
On 11/14/2015 6:44 PM, Roy wrote:

Get out your tape measure and follow the code as shown here http://www.fireplacesnow.com/tentwo.asp
National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1, Section 10.5.2.1, states the rule: "A chimney for residential-type or low-heat gas utilization equipment shall extend at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) above the highest point where it passes through a roof of a building and at least 2 ft. (0.6 m) higher than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 ft. (3 m)."
replying to Ed Pawlowski , Roy wrote:

Thank you for answering so quickly, much appreciated.
On 11/14/2015 5:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Note that things like swamp coolers count as "portion of a building" as you don't want the cooler to be able to pull the exhaust from the water heater back into the living space.
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 8:32:41 PM UTC-6, Don Y wrote:

Wasn't this radiant heat for a garage? Swamp cooler used at the same time?
On 11/14/2015 7:58 PM, bob_villain wrote:

Code doesn't care what you happen to have "turned on" at any given time. Point is you are not supposed to have a means of sucking CO back *into* a living space; exhaust from water heater is considered exhaust.
Remedy is a couple of extra feet of height -- nothing that's going to break the bank.
On 11/14/2015 8:58 PM, bob_villain wrote:

I bought 2 of these DeLonghi oil radiant heaters recently: http://snipurl.com/2ab9j5y
or
http://www.lowes.com/pd_100813-33454-EW7507EBL_0__?k_clickID0ecd37-496a-4fb0-933b-54c11add140a&store_code'56&productId262151&selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4055855585]&storeNumber'56&kpid262151&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalLiving-_-PortableHeat-_-3262151%3ADe%27Longhi&DM_PersistentCookieCreated=true&CAWELAID=&CAWELAID68069538
Are those the kind of heaters you're talking about when you mentioned radiant heat?
--
Maggie

On 11/14/2015 10:41 PM, Muggles wrote:

No, he is talking gas fired. I'd need 8 of those heaters for my garage in the winter to do what my propane heater does.

Ah... We have some propane heaters we use in our greenhouse.
--
Maggie

On 11/14/2015 10:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I had the sense, the OP was installing probably a low mass boiler, for water type radiators.
The electric plug in heaters tend to be 1500 watts, and put put 5,200 BTU per hour. Even the new ultra high efficiency ones are still same watts and BTU.

>>> for the radiant heat in my garage.
Eventually, someone will ask. Why do you apply heat to hot water?
On 11/14/2015 11:43 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

<raises hand> O/`
It makes it feel all warm and cozy?
--
Maggie

Muggles presented the following explanation :

lol
Stormin Mormon has brought this to us :

To change its temperature.
For long you live and high you fly
In typed:

I think that the link that you provided is for fireplace chimneys and other types of chimneys (the 2 feet above any portion of the roof or building within 10 feet).
But, the OP appears to be describing a natural gas vent from a natural gas hot water heater -- not a fireplace chimney or other type of chimney.
For Type B ("B-vent") chimneys coming from natural gas appliances, the codes are different regarding height above the roof line. For a Type B chimney with a Type B vent cap, the height above the roof line can be much less than the standard for other types of chimneys (such as fireplace chimneys). One exception is if the Type B chimney vent is within 8 feet of any vertical wall -- which doesn't appear to be the case in the OP's situation.
I think this will be good news for the OP.
Here are some links that I found about Type B chimney vents from natural gas appliances:
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/imc/1998/icod_imc_1998_8_par035.htm
http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/typebgasvent_l820_2012-sept_w.pdf
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Downloads/Instructions%20-%20RV%20Gas%20Vent%20-%20USA.pdf
I think the OP has a system of in-floor pipes.
On 11/14/2015 11:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

The pipes in the floor are supposed to be a very nice way to heat. Gentle heat, and not drafty like fan forced.
On Saturday, November 14, 2015 at 11:46:42 PM UTC-6, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Maybe, in your case it would be gentile?