Chimney height for a hot water heater

I put in a new hot water heater for the radiant heat in my garage. The pipe goes through the wall about 2' below the eave. Going straight up through the eave of my 7-12 roof. Do I have to be above the ridge line? If not then how high? Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
Roy

Get out your tape measure and follow the code as shown here

National Fuel Gas Code, ANSI Z223.1, Section 10.5.2.1, states the rule: "A chimney for residential-type or low-heat gas utilization equipment shall extend at least 3 ft. (0.9 m) above the highest point where it passes through a roof of a building and at least 2 ft. (0.6 m) higher than any portion of a building within a horizontal distance of 10 ft. (3 m)."

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thank you for answering so quickly, much appreciated.

Reply to
Roy

Note that things like swamp coolers count as "portion of a building" as you don't want the cooler to be able to pull the exhaust from the water heater back into the living space.

Reply to
Don Y

Wasn't this radiant heat for a garage? Swamp cooler used at the same time?

Reply to
bob_villain

Code doesn't care what you happen to have "turned on" at any given time. Point is you are not supposed to have a means of sucking CO back *into* a living space; exhaust from water heater is considered exhaust.

Remedy is a couple of extra feet of height -- nothing that's going to break the bank.

Reply to
Don Y

I bought 2 of these DeLonghi oil radiant heaters recently:

or

Are those the kind of heaters you're talking about when you mentioned radiant heat?

Reply to
Muggles

No, he is talking gas fired. I'd need 8 of those heaters for my garage in the winter to do what my propane heater does.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I think the OP has a system of in-floor pipes.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Ah... We have some propane heaters we use in our greenhouse.

Reply to
Muggles

Eventually, someone will ask. Why do you apply heat to hot water?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had the sense, the OP was installing probably a low mass boiler, for water type radiators.

The electric plug in heaters tend to be

1500 watts, and put put 5,200 BTU per hour. Even the new ultra high efficiency ones are still same watts and BTU.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The pipes in the floor are supposed to be a very nice way to heat. Gentle heat, and not drafty like fan forced.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe, in your case it would be gentile?

Reply to
bob_villain

O/`

It makes it feel all warm and cozy?

Reply to
Muggles

lol

Reply to
Eagle

To change its temperature.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I think that the link that you provided is for fireplace chimneys and other types of chimneys (the 2 feet above any portion of the roof or building within 10 feet).

But, the OP appears to be describing a natural gas vent from a natural gas hot water heater -- not a fireplace chimney or other type of chimney.

For Type B ("B-vent") chimneys coming from natural gas appliances, the codes are different regarding height above the roof line. For a Type B chimney with a Type B vent cap, the height above the roof line can be much less than the standard for other types of chimneys (such as fireplace chimneys). One exception is if the Type B chimney vent is within 8 feet of any vertical wall -- which doesn't appear to be the case in the OP's situation.

I think this will be good news for the OP.

Here are some links that I found about Type B chimney vents from natural gas appliances:

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/Downloads/Instructions%20-%20RV%20Gas%20Vent%20-%20USA.pdf

Reply to
TomR