Our very old coop building has a fireplace in each of the six units. None
has been used for a good many years.
They all have dampers, but these clearly do not prevent heat-loss up the
What's the best way to stop this heat loss? We would like to retain the
option of using the fireplaces in the future if tenants wish to do so.
I would guess that we might stuff some insulation bats of fiber glass or
rock wool in the openings. Does that make sense? If not, what does make
I would get some 2" thick Styrofoam and cut it to fit the opening. You
could also glue on some of the reflective aluminum insulation. This
could easily be removed if the fireplace was going to be used.
My wife cut transparent plastic sheet to fit our fireplace openings
and attached strips of closed cell weather stripping along the edges
to seal them tight. This system has been in place for several years
with excellent results. It reduces the 'chimney effect' that draws
warm air up the chimney.
If the damper doesn't seal effectively, there are dampers that go on
the top of the chimney. They are like a spring loaded lid with a
chain that hangs down into the fireplace. By pulling the chain you
can then open or close the damper. Relatively easy to install.
inches bigger than the flue, add a couple of wraps of tape for a handle,
and cram it into place far enough up to be out of sight. I also added a
decorative sculpture in the fireplace, mainly as a reminder to anyone who
might be foolish enough to try to use the fireplace without checking with me
You could put insulation, rags, waded up newspaper, packing peanuts, etc. into a
plastic bag. Fold or tie the top. Push it up against the damper with a plywood
board or even thick chunk of cardboard covering the bottom, and prop it in place
with a stick. The idea is to push the compressable mass over the whole damper
assembly to block leaks. Also, make sure rain can't get into top of the chimney.
with a cap of some sort.
We cut a piece of rigid styrofoam and adhered it to a made up piece of
metal that fit as a cover over the opening. To come up with a quick
removal for periodic fires she went around the perimeter of both the
cover and the fireplace opening with magnetic tape. I was suprised how
well it holds in place without any air leakage.
My parents cut a piece of wood paneling, slightly larger than the fireplace
safety screen. Dad put a handle on the paneling, to make it easier to lift
out. The piece of wood goes behind the safety screen while fireplace is not
Christopher A. Young;
"Ray" < snipped-for-privacy@DELTHISverizon.net> wrote in message
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.