Chimney fell down - price to replace?

I am not a carpenter or mason. I've has the house for two years and have no idea who built the chimney or when. The chimney was used for our basement woodstove only - I still have furnace heat and another woodstove with a different chimney.
Last week the exterior brick chimney fell, all 25 feet of it from the base up. Ice built up on the roof and pushed it over. The masons that came over to look at it all said the same thing - whoever constructed it did not put straps in it to fasten the chimney to the house. It appears the thing was simply pushed over.
The chimney: 12x9 flue. Almost 25 feet high. Constructed of bricks - not entirely solid, but the kind of bricks that have holes inside.
Insurance will cover the replacement costs, as well as the costs to repair the soffit which is also damaged.
My question - what should I expect a mason to charge to replace this?

It would be less expensive to use metal insulated flue or same with wood surround than to build masonry. T
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 17:19:45 -0400, "Buck Family"
-snip-

You had masons on site who have seen the job, and yet you ask on a newsgroup for some stranger who has no idea if you live in Manhattan or the Ozarks how much it will cost?
Why?
Jim
If building code allows , could you just cap off the chimney at or above the roof line , then vent that wood stove out the side of your house ( going up with metal as far as you need to ) ? It could be cheeper ! Just a suggestion .
On Mar 16, 4:42�pm, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

is the failed chimney on the side of the home all exposed? or 25 feet above roof level? either are possible

Not permissible

I sense that's what's going on here. Going to get a fat check, then have a Cheap Charlie job done for cash, and take a cruise with the rest.
Steve

Steve, thgat responise above wasnt from the origional poster. The origional fellow seems legit enough and just wanted general info but without knowing some rough idea of his area, hard to answer.
THe poster above didnt even read enough to see it was broken off at the base, not the roof.

A cruise? Sorry but I was going to spend that cash on hookers and beer! Just kidding...

Equipment staples - case of duct tape and a barrel of tie wraps.

You can install a propane stove that vents out the side of the house.

Since you replied to me it sounds like an informative reply - that you installed a propane stove that vents out the side of the house with duct tape and and tie wraps! Proud of ya:-)
"Buck Family" wrote

Ouch.
Normal for that sort of thing.

Great!
Well, it wont be just any old mason, but one that does Chimneys. I can say how much it will cost but it will be not far off what adding a new one would cost for your area.
Before you decide it is 'too much' get several estimates. Ask your insurance agency if they have any leads on who you should get estimates from.
Loss of a working fireplace is a major change to house value on resale. So much so that in today's market in some colder areas, you just can't sell the house without one (buyers market right now). Check that with a local realtor who can give you some straight infor for your particular area.
on 3/16/2008 5:19 PM Buck Family said the following:

How many bricks?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

All of them!

Half of them is 50% off

$5697.64
You'd have gotten a more accurate answer if you'd have asked the masons that came over to look at it.

Between $1,000 and $1,284,999,573.45, and you can bet that is accurate.
Get as many bids as you can. Ask around. Select the one that's been in the business the longest or the one who has the best reputation. DO NOT use anything but a licensed contractor, both because it's a bad idea and your insurance company probably won't go for it. It's an insurance job. What do you care unless you are going to pocket the money and not have it repaired?
Steve

Sorry, new to this sort of thing. In response to the many helpful people who have replied:
I live in southern Maine.
I am not going to pocket the cash and take a cruise, or spend it on hookers and beer. I only ask so that I understand what a fair price is because my experience with insurance companies has been that they try to come in very low (admittedly I have no experience making cliams with the company I currently have, just want to be prepared). I really like one of the masons who came to look at it - years of experience, many references, and just feels like an honest guy so I don't want my insurance to lock him out by trying to force me to settle for a price a lot lower than his quote. I don't mind kicking in a few extra bucks out of my pocket to get a decent guy here, but I really don't have much extra to play with.
Right now I haven't seen one estimate and the insurance has not quoted anything. Guess I'll have to wait it out and keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks!
"Buck Family" wrote

No problem! Now we can get a bit more specifric.

For example, you live in an area where selling a house without a fireplace may be problematic. A local realtor can probably just tell you the true answer for your area over the phone.

Some are, depends on the item. My company (State Farm) had a vested interest in maintaining the value of the home they insure. If I lost my fireplace for example, my home value goes down which means they make less *money* off me. They were happy to recommend several locally known good quality contractors to prevent that.

It may not be much difference.

Got at least 3 though who are making them? You'll normally need 3. Most insurance companies can also give a generic ballpark price for what they cover. It wont be exact as it depends on a survey. In your case, ripout and replacement of a fireplace but not sure of inside bricking.
If I were to hazard a *guess* and you not take it amiss that it may be pretty off, I'd say someplace between 13,000$-17,000$? Feels about right for the worst case estimates I got on the damages before they knew if the insides were totally broken by freeze-thaw and it had to come down and be rebuilt. (It wasnt that bad fortunately, it was 1,725$. We'd been overseas 6.5 years and the renters were not very careful with our place).