Chimney crown and top repair? - I don't want to be scammed

Page 2 of 2
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 9:20:21 PM UTC-7, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

check out http://atbayappliance.com/news-and-tips/ for news and tips on repair from a reliable company in california.
On Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:20:21 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Saver" coating, or I need a "Crown Seal" or something costing $300+ labor) and I fear being scammed. Can you take a look at these photos? All opinions welcome. I'm not beyond a DIY project, but it's kind of high and not too c omfortable on ladder for extended duration. Thanks! http://i899.photobucket .com/albums/ac194/millinghill/wall/Sam_7279_zpsbf851051.jpg http://i899.pho tobucket.com/albums/ac194/millinghill/wall/Sam_1206_zpse5d0c0d1.jpg http:// i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/millinghill/wall/Sam_1188_zps02c2565b.jpg http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/millinghill/wall/Sam_1207_zpscf5f d75f.jpg
Photos are good, did youclimbup on the roof to take them or use a telephoto lens. If you are in an area where the tempserature goes below freezing, t hen getting the chimney tuck-pointed is probably a good idea. If in the de ep south, it probably is not as necessary. The flashing from the roof to t he chimney looks ok, and the chimney cap has already been repaired on time, and I don't think it looks all that bad. Now, as far as what is inside th e chimney, we can't tell. What do you do that requires the chiney sweeps to come out at all. If you just have a gas or oil furnace, I wouldn't think you need a chimney sweep more that once every ten years or so, maybe not ev en that often. If you burn wood regularly, then every couple of years is p robably good unless you burn one of those creosote removing logs every few weeks.
I have a oil burner, and I also burn ALOT of wood in my fireplace insert. So we clean the fireplace side annually, and the oil burner side every other year.
Yes, the chimney sweep guys say the intent of this sealer thing is supposed to keep water out to prevent spalling.
I took the photos when I was up on another part of my roof. Can't really get near the chimney due to roof slope. :(