Chimney Clean

First of all, I just found this group and I am totally impressed with the help and advice that many give here. I hope I can be of assistance to some as well, but I have a question. If this subject has been approached before please advise.
Has anyone used the logs that you can buy that advertise they clean the creosote from chimneys with any success? I have a wood burning insert and I know the chimney hasn't been cleaned for several years. I bought the house 2 years ago and have used the insert for two winters.
Thanks - G

They are not worth anything. Either buy a brush and rods to do it yourself or get a pro. First time it is probably a good idea to get a reputable pro as he is likely to find any other problems if they exist.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

I agree with the above, I use to heat with a woodstove. Get the chimney good and clean the first time. Then I used a powder I think it was once a week and before I would use the stove the next season I would get on the roof with a chimney brush and run it down a few times. It was never real dirty. DO NOT burn pine of any kind and make sure the wood you use is at least a year old (seasoned) and you will be just fine.

impressed with the

assistance to

been approached

they clean the

burning insert and

I bought the

winters.
They are not worth anything. Either buy a brush and rods to do it yourself or get a pro. First time it is probably a good idea to get a reputable pro as he is likely to find any other problems if they exist.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome /

IMHO:
The "do not burn pine" is a half-truth. In the midwest, like Colorado, all we have is pine. So, the advice is do not burn undried pine, or any undry wood. The vaporization of mosture robs heating potential.
BTW, OP, get a thermometer for your flue, one of those magnetic ones. You can monitor your flue temps, and this can be an indication of how bad you are beating it up, and the cleaning frequency you need.
hth,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Thanks for the link Tom. Also, I burn primarily seasoned almond and not pine.
The Real Tom wrote:

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:20:16 GMT, "Ralph Mowery"

Wow, good find!

Look right on the those 'cleaning logs' they have a disclaimer stating they do not replace the regularly scheduled chimney cleanings and inspections.
Here is one organizations position: http://www.chopurl.com?696
hth,
tom

The local TV station had a program where a person used one of them and almost burnt down the house. Not recommended.
http://www.wsoctv.com/specialreports/4273234/detail.html