Chimney Clean

First of all, I just found this group and I am totally impressed with the help and advice that many give here. I hope I can be of assistance to some as well, but I have a question. If this subject has been approached before please advise.

Has anyone used the logs that you can buy that advertise they clean the creosote from chimneys with any success? I have a wood burning insert and I know the chimney hasn't been cleaned for several years. I bought the house 2 years ago and have used the insert for two winters.

Thanks - G

Reply to
G Henslee

They are not worth anything. Either buy a brush and rods to do it yourself or get a pro. First time it is probably a good idea to get a reputable pro as he is likely to find any other problems if they exist.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

impressed with the

assistance to

been approached

they clean the

burning insert and

I bought the

winters.

They are not worth anything. Either buy a brush and rods to do it yourself or get a pro. First time it is probably a good idea to get a reputable pro as he is likely to find any other problems if they exist.

Reply to
Boots

Look right on the those 'cleaning logs' they have a disclaimer stating they do not replace the regularly scheduled chimney cleanings and inspections.

Here is one organizations position:

hth,

tom

Reply to
The Real Tom

IMHO:

The "do not burn pine" is a half-truth. In the midwest, like Colorado, all we have is pine. So, the advice is do not burn undried pine, or any undry wood. The vaporization of mosture robs heating potential.

BTW, OP, get a thermometer for your flue, one of those magnetic ones. You can monitor your flue temps, and this can be an indication of how bad you are beating it up, and the cleaning frequency you need.

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

Thanks for the link Tom. Also, I burn primarily seasoned almond and not pine.

The Real Tom wrote:

Reply to
G Henslee

The local TV station had a program where a person used one of them and almost burnt down the house. Not recommended.

Ralph Mowery

Wow, good find!

Reply to
The Real Tom