Chimney caps

Where can I get a good chimney cap? I have a square tile that is 11.5 inches on the outside. I purchased one from a large building store (which shall remain nameless) and honestly can't see how this thing could withstand a moderate wind. It was only $33, and had a set screw at each corner that didn't like to stay straight when tightened. I would prefer to order one from somewhere.

Reply to
acctforjunk

Hi, I got good chimney caps from our chimney sweep guy. Our home has two fireplaces and every other year or so we get out chimney swept...the guy put those caps on during his first visit and they are very sturdy...so go to your phone book and find a chimney sweep company... Jim

Reply to
Jimi

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:e4fccd6c-6727-4e6a-9d7e-530a00631c08 @p25g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I've never seen one of those fly off. If they did I'd russle them up outta yards instead of getting them at nameless large building store.

Reply to
Red Green

I just installed a cap like you describe that I got at Lowes. Did you try to pull up on it after tightening the screws ?? I did, and if the wind pulls it off, the cap is going to be the least of my worries ;-)

Reply to
Reed

I had one of those from HD and it blew off a couple of times and I had to bend it back into shape and reinstall. Finally decided to block off the fireplace and had chimney guy seal it and cap my other fireplace. Furnace had also been capped and this cap and fireplace cap from other chimney guy have remained intact. I decided that I'm now too old to safely climb on roof. One chimney guy that inspected the fireplace I closed off would have fallen off roof if I had not been holding ladder. He did not get hired.

Reply to
Frank

The set screws work fine, but get a cap made out of heavy stainless. Chimney gasses are corrosive, and the occasional chimney fire will burn up a cheap one.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

"Reed" wrote

Same here. For the OP (poster), you are supposed to use a small drill and those 'bolts' go into holes. Believe me, it won't come off unless it takes the brick with it that way.

Reply to
cshenk

"Frank" wrote

You probably had the mere 'tension' type. Yes, those can blow off. The type I think he has, is meant to be bolted into the brick. It seems he tried to just screw tighten it to the brick instead?

Reply to
cshenk

Be sure to get a stainless steel one. Painted steel will eventually rust and can make a mess on the side of the house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski