Chimney

What do they use to cut a round hole into a chimney with a liner for a 6 inch stove pipe?
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

I don't know what "they use, but we used a hammer drill and chisel. Made a series of holes with a 1/2" bit they a chisel to take the rest out.
If you know the proper formula for size and placement, I suppose you could use explosives too.

hammer drill works fine although a diamond core bit leaves a smoother rounder hole, which really doesnt matter.
are you certain your chimney is lined, in good condition, and large enough to accept a 8 inch pipe?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How could one not be certain? And I said 6 inch,not 8.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

my bad on the size:(
however if your converting to a wood stove has the chimney been inspected? preferably by a camera......????
know someone who proudly added a wood stove to his old furnace chimney, after he got his new high efficency furnace:) planning on cutting his gas bill dramatically:)
the chimney was lined with ceramic tiles so he wasnt concerned:)
till the house caught on fire:(
Turned out some joints in the ceramic liner were bad:(
89 grand later all is well, insurance paid but added a rider no coverage for wood stoves or wood burning fireplaces. adding either is possible at a added cost of 700 bucks per year to get the exclusion removed........
cost him about 5 grand out of pocket, his homeowners wasnt the greatest:(
figured your better off knowing .......
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

My other 2 wood stoves in that chimney tested it out. Works fine.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

Technically and in many areas, legally, you cannot add an additional appliance to a chimney that is in use by another appliance. One stove interferes with the draft of any additional stoves plus the capacity of the chimney may be overloaded. Each device requires its own chimney.
If the chimney is lined with glazed clay pipe it may be impossible to break into it without shattering the brittle clay liner unless it is cut with a diamond tool.
EXT wrote:

What I was more inclined to do was build new chimney for my garage and was wondering if there are chimney blocks and tiles with holes already in them. Otherwise I have to destroy a new chimney with hammer drills and chisels.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

use a diamond core bit, nice neat hole

You can have many things in the same chimney but you need a seperate flue liner for each one.
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

I think that is just a money making gimmick. I have an oil furnace and two wood stoves on a single flue. Once in a while they are all in use and operate just dandy.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw

It is a safety, not an operational concern. It you have a gas appliance and for some reason the flame goes out and gas starts going into the chimney and the wood stove is going at the same time, you can guess the result. Or the oil burner quits and you press the reset button a hundred times.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

assumption that most people are complete idiots when it's more likely that some idiot got an engineering degree then a job with a state making safety rules.
:)
--
Van Chocstraw

Nah, I'd say both.

The big job is getting through fast, sealing it back with mortar is easy, depending on what its made of and how thick it is determines what you need, quickest is rent a small electric demolition hammer if its brick or stone and very thick, a few couse brick maybe a hammer drill and chisel is all you need, some chimney fireplace brick is super tough and will be hard even with the best demolition hammer. My fireplace was about impossible to drill into with a 1/2" 120v Porter Cable Hammer drill and new bits.