Chicken Wire Fasteners

Please forgive me for posting on topic, I promise not to do it again.
Today I had a service call, to a cat shelter. There is an outdor cat run, probably 15 by 15 feet. The walls and "roof" such as it is are rolled chicken wire.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1c/Chicken_wire.jpg/250px-Chicken_wire.jpg
And these rolled out chicken wire are connected together by literally many hundreds of nylon tie straps.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/g/gwse2036.jpg
But, with the sunlight, the nylon gets brittle and breaks. This is a constant struggle, to keep put on new tiestraps. And a LOT of labor. I can get UV resistant black tiestraps at my wholesale parts house. But, it seems like there should be a metal crimp, or something to hold the chicken wire together. What is there, for this purpose?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Well, you could either just use wire, which is cheap, and will work, but which will leave pointy little ends to snag cat-paws and people's clothing, or dacron twine, which will cost quite a bit more, but is UV resistant and doesn't leave pointy ends.
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:29:22 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

How did they imprison chickens before there was plastic?
Stocks, pillary, dunking chair.
http://www.tomecek.com/jay/Stocks.gif
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

LOL
What is it tied TO?
--
Steve Barker

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61**spamblock##@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That is likely part of the problem- it is tied to itself, instead of a frame. If I inderstand OPs post correctly, the enclosure, aside from maybe some corner posts, is basically a chicken-wire box. So all the joints flex all the time, which will make a zip tie fail quickly, sunlight or not. The volunteers need to scrape up some 2x2 and 2x4, and build an actual chicken coop frame (mini-POW cage style), and attach the chicken wire to that with fence staples, like Old McDonald and God intended.
I remember once as a kid, when I got roped into feeding a neighbor lady's hobby chickens while her and my mother were out doing something together one day. When I got there around dusk, one of the roosters was strutting around the yard outside the pen, just as pleased as he could be with himself. But it was all show- as soom as he realized I was there, he ran back to the pen, and stuffed himself back in, right through the overlapped chicken wire joint. He knew where his 'safe' zone was.
aem sends....
aem sends....
The challenge is that the cat coop is so large, the chicken wire seams aren't lined up with boards. Be easier if they were, just staple the seams to boards. The cat coop is probably 15 feet by 15 feet, and it's not practical to climb up on the "roof" of the coop.
The problem is as you say, at the seams where the rolls of chicken wire come together. There can be gaps large enough for a kitty to wriggle through.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Yes. Fully closed the ends overlap to form a circle. (not really round- closer to a triangle)
Charlie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1c/Chicken_wire.jpg/250px-Chicken_wire.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1c/Chicken_wire.jpg/250px-Chicken_wire.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1c/Chicken_wire.jpg/250px-Chicken_wire.jpg
Having read the other posts, I imagine the hog-ring approach is your best bet. As to a possible source -- years ago, I used to get hog rings and the crimping pliers at the auto supply store (the old Western Auto) when I bought seat covers for my car. That was the recommended stitcher-fastener then.
SJF
Trying to keep cats in. I was thinking some thing like the old split-shot lead fishing weights. But maybe aluminum. Something that would keep the fence tightly closed.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Generally, you hook chickenwire together just by overlapping it a few cells, and bending the the ends of each peice through the other one. If you're having too much trouble with the cats, I can post a recipe.
Hog Rings work quite well.

Ah, to use common sense. Which is lacking, here. The edges of the chicken wire butt up against each other with no overlap.
She says there are about 50 cats. What's the recipe? I don't like mushrooms or onions, but slow roasted with A-sauce sounds good. Do you have to pound the heck out of them for tenderizing? Or just slow cook crock pot?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.