Chicken bones and Kenmore disposal

Page 3 of 3
Dan Espen wrote in message ...

Oh, there are a lot more than two, including those big SUV's, big houses, swimming pools etc. Just depends on what you want to choose to bitch about.
Cheri
On Aug 20, 1:29 pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Now there's no need to be nasty and sarcastic. I am NOT a lazy person by any standard. Do you work in a waste treatment plant? You seem obsessed with them.

Unless, of course, you have a wife like mine. She thinks that a garbage disposal is like a garbage can. You only need to empty it when it's full.
You can walk into the kitchen, and the fragrant aroma of 1966 Viet Nam war casualties, rotting in the sun, hits your nostrils. Or, the combination of fermenting lettuce, shrimp, and chicken fat after sitting at room temperature for three days.
I don't care what you do with garbage, down the drain, out to the street, there's a time limit on ANYTHING!
About any time I am walking by the kitchen sink, I can run the water and kick on the garbage disposal, and there's the familiar GGGRRRRrrrrrrrrr sound of something being dispatched instead of the Whirrrrrrrrrr of an empty disposal.
What scares the hell out of me is this woman has a driver's license.
Steve
My nephew is a plumber.
He LOVES kitchen disposl units.
Even when business is slow, there are always clogged kitchen ( disposal ) drains......
<rj>

Nothing like getting $100 to go out, press a reset button, pluck a chicken bone or bottle cap, or just plunge the line and get her moving again. Of course, all the time, moving slowly and deliberately, and mentioning how you hope you don't have to get out the big equipment, and how expensive THAT is.
I could do that ALL day long. All month long.
Steve
hebintn wrote:

Garbage disposals WERE illegal in New York City. Until about 1996.

I think it's the -new- "normal", mine operates similarly, it doesn't seem to work as well as the old one, although I don't run chicken bones through it often. I think your problem might be too many bones and not enough other material that might carry or assist the cartilage through the grinder.
When I hear small chunks rattling around I throw in a couple handfuls of ice cubes and run it, and throw in leftover lemon/s if I've got 'em to achieve that "lemony freshness". -----
- gpsman

Best method is to have a mix of stuff in the chamber. Add some veggies peels and long with the bones and it will usually keep the fragments from just flying around and get them to flush down.
Alternative is to toss the bones in the trash. I hardly put anything down the disposal any more.