Chicken bones and Kenmore disposal

Page 2 of 3

Why would they drag your trashcan down the block? You have to pay them not to do that? That's not tipping, it's extortion.

hmmmm....you're right. Screw the bastids.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:11:49 -0700, frank megaweege wrote:

A real Scrooge would send his table scraps, potato peelings, and other garbage to the orphanage so the kids could have second helpings.

screw - the mailman he's got a govt pension and health care. But the day you - need to haul your hot water heater and ratty old couch out to the - curb, that garbage man will remember your gift.
Where I live all it takes is a call to WM and they'll pick up the HWH, couch and most appliances free of charge. The only thing they charge for is anything that contains a refrigerant and for those they also send a separate truck. I doubt any amount of a tip to the Thursday morning person who empties my can is going to get him/her to toss an old freezer into the back of the truck.
That's not to say I don't give the Thursday morning person a gift for the holidays. On the other hand, it's not always the same person every Thursday morning. The turnover at that level of the business is huge. Whoever is lucky enough to be my trash-person during Christmas week is the one who gets my gift.
BTW - My mailman has been my mailman for well over 20 years. He's given us a card when each of my kids were born. He's seen my oldest grow from an infant to an adult with his own home. He congratulates us when one my kids make the local paper for a sporting or academic accomplishment and he seems genuinely concerned when a family member gets sick or hurt. He gives my dog a biscuit if he's out front because he likes him, not because he's afraid he is going to bite him. Guess who gets the bigger tip at Christmas - the trash person or the mailman?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Just put the fridge on the curb. During the night, the urban faeries will make it disappear.

will - make it disappear.
I don't have a curb.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

You are so luckily. Here in the Houston area if the trash men spot a old water heater on the curb, they contact the city inspection office and they see if you pulled a permit to have it replaced and if not the trash men get a reward from the fine. :-(
--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 18:48:40 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Because the contents of the container you are using for choice 1 will start to smell after a short period of time.
The only reason i can see that you would choose option #2 is that you like having clogged pipes and a ruined septic system. Sewers are even worse, cause of the long horizontal runs they usually involve.
steve

Where I used to live, food waste was not permitted in the trash. We either put stuff in the disposal or on the compost pile. Composting is a beneficial way to get rid of a lot of your garbage. No meat stuff though.
on 8/20/2007 1:17 PM Edwin Pawlowski said the following:

And if you had neither, like in a rental, what was the alternative? A midnight run to the dump along the roadway?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

"> If this isn't normal, what are some simple fixes/adjustments I might

The easy fix: Don't put chicken bones in the disposal.

Thank goodness the rest of the world doesn't have your philosophy on waste disposal. If everyone had garbage disposals and used them like you your city would need a waste treatment plant that would cover half the county, a staff that would increase equally, and energy costs to run the plant,.... And who would pay for all that???? I personally think garbage disposals should be made illegal. If your sink clogged up then you could support the economy by paying a plumber, or God forbid, get your hands dirty and do it yourself. Get a garbage can or a goat.
Harry

If I remember correctly the instructions for our disposal encouraged small chicken bones and the like as it keeps the blades sharp. I also agree that it's great for keeping rancid odors out of the kitchen trash can. It's annoying and wasteful to have to take a half-filled bag out of the kitchen trash can because it stinks so bad.

-- It's annoying and wasteful to have to take a half-filled -- bag out of the kitchen trash can because it stinks so bad.
Every household is different. In my case, there are enough people producing trash that the can is full *long* before anything begins to stink. The only times that I can recall having to deal with a smelly can are those times when something old was found in the back of the fridge. Other than that, the normal turn around for trash going in and the can being emptied is always shorter than the time it takes for the can to get smelly.
Jeffy3 wrote in message

The instructions on mine say that too. I am not giving up my garbage disposal. :-)
Cheri

Yes, so wasteful, my God it's a whole 10 cents for one of those bags! How about the waste at the treatment plant, when they have to deal with all the extra crap you;re sending down the drain cause you're too lazy to take out the garbage.
Oh, and for the record, unless the garbage happens to be something exceptional, like fish, it doesn't smell for a couple days until it's taken out.

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in message

Tell that to the parents who are sending tons and tons of human poop to the landfills on a daily basis. Seems to me that *is* extra crap that should be heading down the drain.
Cheri
"Cheri" <gserviceatinreachdotcom> writes:

Is this the 2 wrongs make a right theory?