Chicken bones and Kenmore disposal

The instructions on mine say that too. I am not giving up my garbage disposal. :-)

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

That is about the wisest Christmas gift any homeowner can give, screw the mailman he's got a govt pension and health care. But the day you need to haul your hot water heater and ratty old couch out to the curb, that garbage man will remember your gift.

Reply to
RickH

Best method is to have a mix of stuff in the chamber. Add some veggies peels and long with the bones and it will usually keep the fragments from just flying around and get them to flush down.

Alternative is to toss the bones in the trash. I hardly put anything down the disposal any more.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the very personification of thoughtlessness and selfish behavior!

Where do you think all that waste goes, Kuskokwim? It isn't magically disappeared by sewage fairies. And since that food waste is mixed with human waste, it's now hazardous material and has to be handled as such. The United States, Canada and Europe are the biggest consumers of material in the world, and the largest producers of waste. Common sense says therefore we're also the ones having the biggest impact on this planet's environment.

So to trader-of-some-jacks, I suggest the following: (1) Get a great composting unit. Composters.com is a good place to start looking...also check out Naturemill.com, a company that makes an indoor, stink-free composter. (2) Stop using the disposal. Put all your food waste in the composter. Put the bones in the trash. (3) Put some worms in the composter. (4) Stop spending money on Roto-Rooter having to clean your drains every year or two. (5) Have some amazing nutrients for the tomatoes and strawberries you're going to grown in your new garden. Or for the house plants. Or to give to the folks next door and make the neighborhood just a bit friendlier.

Reply to
Kyle

Where I used to live, food waste was not permitted in the trash. We either put stuff in the disposal or on the compost pile. Composting is a beneficial way to get rid of a lot of your garbage. No meat stuff though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You need to address this to all the parents filling up landfills with disposable diapers, now that's selfish behavior.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Yes, so wasteful, my God it's a whole 10 cents for one of those bags! How about the waste at the treatment plant, when they have to deal with all the extra crap you;re sending down the drain cause you're too lazy to take out the garbage.

Oh, and for the record, unless the garbage happens to be something exceptional, like fish, it doesn't smell for a couple days until it's taken out.

Reply to
trader4

Tell that to the parents who are sending tons and tons of human poop to the landfills on a daily basis. Seems to me that *is* extra crap that should be heading down the drain.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Not that I have a problem with someone giving the garbage man a xmas gift, but I pay taxes and fees that include someone hauling off couches and water heaters. There are certain rules and limitations but bribes aren't necessary.

Reply to
frank megaweege

lol...sounds like a certain Charles Dickens character.

Reply to
kpg*

- That is about the wisest Christmas gift any homeowner can give, screw

- the mailman he's got a govt pension and health care. But the day you

- need to haul your hot water heater and ratty old couch out to the

- curb, that garbage man will remember your gift.

Where I live all it takes is a call to WM and they'll pick up the HWH, couch and most appliances free of charge. The only thing they charge for is anything that contains a refrigerant and for those they also send a separate truck. I doubt any amount of a tip to the Thursday morning person who empties my can is going to get him/her to toss an old freezer into the back of the truck.

That's not to say I don't give the Thursday morning person a gift for the holidays. On the other hand, it's not always the same person every Thursday morning. The turnover at that level of the business is huge. Whoever is lucky enough to be my trash-person during Christmas week is the one who gets my gift.

BTW - My mailman has been my mailman for well over 20 years. He's given us a card when each of my kids were born. He's seen my oldest grow from an infant to an adult with his own home. He congratulates us when one my kids make the local paper for a sporting or academic accomplishment and he seems genuinely concerned when a family member gets sick or hurt. He gives my dog a biscuit if he's out front because he likes him, not because he's afraid he is going to bite him. Guess who gets the bigger tip at Christmas - the trash person or the mailman?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If I were a Scrooge I'd dump things over the hillside and not pay the monthly bill. Is it really common to give the garbage men xmas gifts? And is it expected for them to do their jobs?

Reply to
frank megaweege

frank megaweege wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a39g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

No, not really. I did give the crew a 20 once for taking an old sofa, even thougth it was in their job description.

I don't know about other places, but where I live there are different crews all the time, so an xmas gift would make no sense, but maybe that particular crew will remember my house and leave the can in my driveway instead of dragging it down the block.

Catch more flies with sugar than salt, that's all.

Reply to
kpg*

Is this the 2 wrongs make a right theory?

Reply to
Dan Espen

innews: snipped-for-privacy@a39g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

Why would they drag your trashcan down the block? You have to pay them not to do that? That's not tipping, it's extortion.

Reply to
frank megaweege

hmmmm....you're right. Screw the bastids.

Reply to
kpg*

Oh, there are a lot more than two, including those big SUV's, big houses, swimming pools etc. Just depends on what you want to choose to bitch about.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Would you rather they WASHED cloth diapers and put all that poo down the sewer system? That's more work for the treatment plants, plus more water, phosphate-rich soap effluent, etc. Whereas disposable diapers come from China and who cares if diaper manufacturing screws up their country.

Reply to
HeyBub

Just put the fridge on the curb. During the night, the urban faeries will make it disappear.

Reply to
HeyBub

Garbage disposals WERE illegal in New York City. Until about 1996.

Reply to
HeyBub