Chicken bones and Kenmore disposal

Page 1 of 3
Our home garbage disposal is a Kenmore model, recommended to us by our longtime trusted appliance repair guy. I think it's a 3/4 hp model; it's certainly a big one.
One thing this disposal does not do that previous Insinkerator models did well is dispose of chicken bones. The Insinkerators would, in 30 seconds or less, take several chicken drumsticks and flush them and the disposal would again run quietly.
By contrast, the Kenmore gets rid of MOST of the bone, but has problems with the cartilage, and the small chips of the bone just rattle around making noise and getting stuck under the grinders (or whatever the sharp twirly projections in the disposal are called, that grind the garbage). Yesterday, I pulled out of the disposal a large heaping handful of cartilage bits and pulverized and smooth-edged bits of bone, and the disposal is still making rattling noises.
Is this normal? Understand, the disposal doesn't balk at chicken bones going into it (we've never ever tried turkey bones) - it smoothly chops them up in seconds. What it's failing to do is chop up the small pieces and flush them out.
If this isn't normal, what are some simple fixes/adjustments I might make to correct this?

Yes, stop putting all that crap in the disposal to begin with. Disposals are great, but IMO, they should be used for the occasional scraps of food from washing, prep-work, etc, not the main vehicle for getting rid of bulk garbage. For example, if I do prep work peeling vegs, I'll scoop most of it out of the sink and toss it in the trash, then wash the remaining down the disposal. I think the more stuff you send down there, the more problems you're asking for, either with clogged pipes, septic tanks (if u have one), etc.
on 8/19/2007 8:54 AM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net said the following:

...and more solids that the water treatment plants have to get rid of in municipal sewer systems.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 09:09:49 -0400, willshak wrote:

Some people might care about this, but I don't.

Shame on you.
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 15:43:49 -0400, willshak wrote:

No I won't. Possible tax increases were factored in when, years ago, I decided not to care about the sewage treatment plant's capacity problems.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce the very personification of thoughtlessness and selfish behavior!
Where do you think all that waste goes, Kuskokwim? It isn't magically disappeared by sewage fairies. And since that food waste is mixed with human waste, it's now hazardous material and has to be handled as such. The United States, Canada and Europe are the biggest consumers of material in the world, and the largest producers of waste. Common sense says therefore we're also the ones having the biggest impact on this planet's environment.
So to trader-of-some-jacks, I suggest the following: (1) Get a great composting unit. Composters.com is a good place to start looking...also check out Naturemill.com, a company that makes an indoor, stink-free composter. (2) Stop using the disposal. Put all your food waste in the composter. Put the bones in the trash. (3) Put some worms in the composter. (4) Stop spending money on Roto-Rooter having to clean your drains every year or two. (5) Have some amazing nutrients for the tomatoes and strawberries you're going to grown in your new garden. Or for the house plants. Or to give to the folks next door and make the neighborhood just a bit friendlier.
Kyle wrote in message

You need to address this to all the parents filling up landfills with disposable diapers, now that's selfish behavior.
Cheri
Cheri wrote:

Would you rather they WASHED cloth diapers and put all that poo down the sewer system? That's more work for the treatment plants, plus more water, phosphate-rich soap effluent, etc. Whereas disposable diapers come from China and who cares if diaper manufacturing screws up their country.
You're wrong. That's not what they're for and anyone with a brain, does not use them in that manner.

On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:54:29 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

You get rid of your garbage with them. I have been doing it for years and have never had a problem.

- - You get rid of your garbage with them. I have been doing it for years and - have never had a problem.
At the risk of feeding the troll, I really gotta ask why.
My Insinkerator claims to be able handle just about anything up to and including a small car, but I have no idea why I would want to use it in that manner.
Let's see...I'm done eating a plate full of corn on the cob, fried chicken, spare ribs, mashed potatoes and baked beans. Now I've got a choice of where to dump the remains. I've got this plastic thing with a 150 square inch opening that requires no electricity or water, and I've got this motorized thing with a < 9 square inch opening that comes with a switch and a faucet.
Choice 1 - Tilt plate over 150 sq in opening, maybe scrape with a fork, put plate in dishwasher. Choice 2 - Tilt plate, maybe scrape with a fork, turn on switch, turn on faucet, manuver some bones, cobs and other debris into < 9 sq in, push it in, manuver some more debris over to the < 9 sq in opening, push it in, repeat until all debris is gone, rinse out sink, turn off switch, turn off faucet, put plate in dishwasher.
Please tell me why I would opt for Choice 2?
on 8/19/2007 9:48 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

So you don't have to take out the garbage? I like to support the sanitation men. They have families, you know.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:57:05 -0400, willshak wrote:

I like my sanitation man. I give him some cash at Christmas. I also try to make his job more pleasant by putting the things that will smell to high heaven if put in the trash down my garbage disposer.

try to - make his job more pleasant by putting the things that will smell to high - heaven if put in the trash down my garbage disposer.
Similiar to the smell of a troll feeding at the trough of a.h.r...

That is about the wisest Christmas gift any homeowner can give, screw the mailman he's got a govt pension and health care. But the day you need to haul your hot water heater and ratty old couch out to the curb, that garbage man will remember your gift.

Not that I have a problem with someone giving the garbage man a xmas gift, but I pay taxes and fees that include someone hauling off couches and water heaters. There are certain rules and limitations but bribes aren't necessary.

lol...sounds like a certain Charles Dickens character.

If I were a Scrooge I'd dump things over the hillside and not pay the monthly bill. Is it really common to give the garbage men xmas gifts? And is it expected for them to do their jobs?

No, not really. I did give the crew a 20 once for taking an old sofa, even thougth it was in their job description.
I don't know about other places, but where I live there are different crews all the time, so an xmas gift would make no sense, but maybe that particular crew will remember my house and leave the can in my driveway instead of dragging it down the block.
Catch more flies with sugar than salt, that's all.