Chicago suburbs - vinyl window

I'm living in Chicago suburbs and plan to replace the old windows with vinyl replacement windows. There are so many window companies here. Any suggestion on which window companies I should at least get an estimate?

thanks!

Reply to
Charley

windows with

companies here.

get an

Wow, tough question for that area: would have helped to know what 'burb you're in.

First, are there any neighbors you can ask about experiences? They're often a good starting point, but not the definitive answer. Then of course there's folk at work, and after that, the Yellow Pages.

Plan several quotes, and do NOT pay anyone to give you a quote! Some will charge to quote, saying you get it back when you sign the contract; IF you sign! I consider those hard sells.

Pick three, get quotes. Pick one of those three, get two more quotes. Continue until you get one that feels good. NEVER accept "after august xx, this deal's gone" crap! Even if it is, something will replace it. Be CERTAIN there is a contract, that it's signed by BOTH parties, and includes EVERYTHING you are concernedabout. If it mentions a 20 year warranty, what would be covered in ten, fifteen, and 19 years 11 months?

Sometimes you just have to trust someone, and this might be one of them. Oh, nothing wrong with having a friend listen in on the contract talks either. Two heads are better than one.

Before you sign, check with the BBB, see if you can find anything about them online, and do NOT be afraid to talk about who quoted what when to each contractor you talk to. You can learn anything from bullshit to some decpetivepractices that way. When I was getting quotes on my roof, I ruled out two companies because each of two other, different, companies, wouldn't actually say anything specific about the "bad" company other than they had done some repair work they really shouldn't have had to do.

If you're northwest, you;ll have the easiest time; if you're west or south, it's a little harder. North is just plain expensive!

Luck!

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

And make sure they have all their insurance and licenses up to date (check) and ask for local references for work they have done, ideally at least a year or more ago. Then check them out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

There is allot to learn about windows , Consumer Reports online has an extensive review worth reading.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for the information. I'm living at Mount Prospect which is Northwest. Any good companies you know I should contact?

thanks!

Reply to
Charley

old

least

not

work,

back

those

accept

is,

If

be

listen

than

to.

on

anything

done

you're

plain

which is

No, afraid not - it's been too long since we lived out there to be reliable. Here, I'd back up an any comments neighbors/friends might make. At least you're not in a "bad" area for contractors, which is good. I saw th eother comments re insurance, bonding, etc.: All excellent advice I wish I'd thought to include. INSIST on seeing their proof of insurance (not a photocopy) - before the job starts. No insurance, no job - and it should be mentioned in the contract, too.

Sorry can't help more

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet