Chest freezer in garage or basement?

Page 1 of 2
We are contemplating buying a high-eff. chest freezer, about 18 c.f. It would be a lot handier to have in our attached garage, but I have no idea how an unheated garage will affect efficiency....summer gets pretty hot in garage, but can leave it open on hottest days. I'd like to hear experiences of others, especially if they have operated the same freezer in both places. We are in Indiana, so hottest days can be 100+ and coldest (this winter) minus 22.
On 2/27/2014 11:57 AM, Norminn wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about the efficiency part; that's the least of your worries. The biggest problem in an unheated space if it gets and can stay below 40F or so there's a real likelihood the freezer cooling will never kick on and you can actually lose product in dead of winter. Happened to daughter in Olympia, WA, and it's not all _that_ cold there. Turns out newer units are far more susceptible than older as they had had an ancient unit for years but the new replacement one was the culprit the second winter.
You can solve the problem by building a closet area around it and keeping either a small heater or perhaps as small as a 100W (incandescent) bulb.
dpb wrote:

Hi, Our upright freezer stays inside the insuslated but not heated garage. Works fine. I am in Calgary, AB much colder than Olympia, WA. Maybe high humidity there has something to do with it? Our winter time relative humidity ia often below zero %.
On 2/27/2014 1:24 PM, dpb wrote:

You're not encouraging the OP to be a criminal smuggler of illegal bulbs?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Now that's a new one - you will loose food because it's too cold for the freezer to run???? No reason a freezer won't run at 40F.
On 2/27/2014 7:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Perhaps the writer meant refrigerator / freezer. In household refrig, the cold control is in the refrig. So, a refrig in 40F would never run.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:57:27 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Mark
my wife insited on a freezer, so we got a chest type. it saved no money at all and just cost money for the electric. we got it, she did a big shopping trip then didnt use the stuff before it got freezer burn. ultimately we to ssed nearly everything in that freezer. I have several friends who had the same experience...
!YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
On 2/27/2014 3:49 PM, bob haller wrote:

That can be avoided, but you have to be willing to do the extra work to be sure things are properly wrapped and used in a timely manner. There are ways to save a lot of money on meats. A Foodsaver can keep wrapped meat for a couple of years.
Also, an upright is much easier to find things in than the chest.
Ed Pawlowski;3204460 Wrote: >

I'm thinking that even though the cold air spills out of an upright freezer when you open it's door, that may not affect it's efficiency all that much because the mass of the cold air spilled out is tiny. And, realistically, you only open the freezer door 2 or 3 times a day to put food in and take food out.
--
nestork

my wife insited on a freezer, so we got a chest type. it saved no money at all and just cost money for the electric. we got it, she did a big shopping trip then didnt use the stuff before it got freezer burn. ultimately we tossed nearly everything in that freezer. I have several friends who had the same experience...
!YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
We have three freezers, quite small ones so we can shut some down as they empty. We grow most vegetables in the garden and freeze the surplus. Some of it is in there for two years.
We also buy frozen stuff. You need to learn how to use a freezer and prepare food before you put it in.
On 2/28/2014 6:44 AM, harryagain wrote:

I had a garden last summer, which was my first full-scale veggie garden. I planted much-too-much for the two of us, but shared a lot and froze some in the fridge. I think I could easily save the energy cost by freezing more garden produce. And the gas we use to go to the grocery store would be reduced.....got to make more frequent trips just for bread. I really, really miss the fresh garden produce. Just about set up to start some seeds in the basement, hoping spring will arrive by June :o) Looks like another blizzard party this weekend; staying more fit by shoveling snow.....my neighbor keeps trying to get rid of it for me :o)

I hear the cold temps may kill the stinkbugs.
On 2/27/2014 11:57 AM, Norminn wrote:

In SE Iowa we have one in an unheated and uninsulated attached garage with absolutely no problems. Been there since we moved here about eight years ago...think we bought the freezer at the same time. Don't know what the temps in the garage get to but outside it can be as cold as -15 degrees F and as high as 100 degrees F.
All in all, I don't think that you should have any problems either.
Don
On Thursday, February 27, 2014 3:57:23 PM UTC-5, IGot2P wrote:

The data sheet for the freezer will have the operating temperature range. Personally, I would buy an upright unit. Much easier to access, see what's inside, etc. And definitely get one that self defrosts.
If you lose power in the summer, in an unheated garage, and nobody checks it for a couple of weeks like happened to my neighbor,
you really do not want to smell the results.
Probably want to have some kind of pilot light setup for wherever you put it. In this case one breaker tripped, and the garage lost power but the rest of the house did not.

And if you lose power in a _heated_ garage things would be better?
I can only speak for myself, but unless I was on a vacation, it wouldn't be more than 8, maybe 10, hours before I knew that the power was out in my garage. I'm in there every day, usually multiple times a day.
I wonder how many people would go a couple of weeks without knowing the power was out in their garage.
Survey says?

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:16:12 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

Every year when I go on vacation for 2-3 weeks. Multiple times a year for 1 week between lawn mowings. Doesn't make much difference if you don't visit the freezer for 2 weeks.

Every since I put a freezer in my garage, I don't think we've gone more than a day or two without getting something from it. Bread, ice cream, a frozen burrito for breakfast, etc. Different strokes...
Vic Smith wrote:

Hmm, Some freezers have temp. warning indicator light our new one has it.