Chemical Treatment in Seepage Pits ?

Is there any need to add chemicals to the seepage pits / drywells ?

What kind of chemicals would be used, if YES ?

Are chemicals used only to supplement a septic tank system ?

Reply to
Vince

Septic tank/ field voo-doo. I say that because all of the makers of such products make the claims but if you do a search you will read studies from colleges that state that there's no need for them as long as you aren't dumping chems and fats down the drain. The other side of the argument is that most soaps and detergents are now anti-bacterial and will impair proper bacterial propagation. My answer is to stop using such products for reasons far more important than the septic tank issues. That's a different thread, however. I stopped using the additives but I still have a strong desire to do so.

Reply to
C & E

Do you mean like part of a rainwater drainage system. A hole in the ground filled with drain rock.

No, they do not fill with biodegradable material then redistribute through leachfield pipes, they just silt up over time and become useless. Nothing will remove silt from between rocks besides digging it up and washing it out.

Reply to
PipeDown

Well, they don't do any harm and can help quite a bit if your system does need it. Its a good cover your ass policy to use septic tank chemicals even if you are unsure of the efficacy. When you have it pumped, they can give you some indication as to if it would help or if it is needed from their inspection.

Reply to
PipeDown

What I am hoping to learn here is whether chemicals are better added to the septic tank or to the (precast concrete) overflow/seepage pits ?

This is a 3 bedroom residence located in Suffolk county, Long Island, New York.

Thanks.

Reply to
Vince

I have read about the college studies results. I will read the labelling on the detergent carefully now.

We try to avoid dumping fats/grease down the sink drain.

What type of chemicals are your referr>

Reply to
Vince

C&E: I have read that commercial chemicals are not effective at all. But the same guy that wrote that recommends use of a 3-month treatment plan for a chemical poured into the toilet bowl and flushed. ...

PIPEDOWN: When 5 gallons of commercial grade septic tank chemicals is priced at $35.00 and the guy recommends that 15 gallons be applied, I would rather not rely on their inspection efforts.

Reply to
Vince