Cheesecloth-like layer on walls (2023 Update)

Plaster board is not same as drywall in design. Plaster board is used in place of wood lathe and is usually plastered over. I can see in some warm areas the cheese cloth and wallpaper over it could be used for economical reason.

Reply to
Jack

Oh pshaw, on Thu 19 Oct 2006 07:50:03a, elanamig meant to say...

Is this truly "cheesecloth" or is it "lining paper"? Some types of lining paper have a fabric backing and/or surface. The purpose of using it is to provide a smoother surface for conventional wallpaper application on top of it. Generally, the lining paper is applied over the wall surface using a vinyl adhesive. It is then coated with sizing as one would do to a conventional wall surface before applying the finish wallpaper. Lining paper is very useful for covering cracked walls, grooved wood paneling, etc., when wallpaper is desired. It definitely does not provide a good surface for painting, unless you are planning on using a textured paint. The fabric texture will show through ordinary paint.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

A lot of good discussion in this thread. You might seriously consider repapering the walls. I believe that would be considerably easier and cheaper, and there is an almost infinite variety of papers to choose from including some with very faint patterns.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

replying to GoHabsGo, Deborah Tanner wrote: We hav 1/4" sheetrock covering our shiplap... and of course the cheesecloth on top of the shiplap. So far the sheetrock is coming down fairly easily... the cheesecloth mostly comes down EZ also EXCEPT for where it was attached with nails or tacks. So I'm searching to find how to dissolve the cheesecloth to clean up the wall...... that's my dilema....... Good Luck !!!

Reply to
Deborah Tanner

replying to GoHabsGo, Deborah Tanner wrote: We hav 1/4" sheetrock covering our shiplap... and of course the cheesecloth on top of the shiplap. So far the sheetrock is coming down fairly easily... the cheesecloth mostly comes down EZ also EXCEPT for where it was attached with nails or tacks. So I'm searching to find how to dissolve the cheesecloth to clean up the wall...... that's my dilema....... Good Luck !!!

Reply to
Deborah Tanner

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA, t-w-e-l-v-e y-e-a-r old post! HomeMoanersHub strikes again! What a bunch of dummies.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

replying to Deborah Tanner, Barbara Canetti wrote: did you find a way to remove the cheesecloth strings?I'm facing that situation now.

Reply to
Barbara Canetti

replying to Barbara Canetti, Martha Grimes Lampkin wrote: The most recent Home Town episode showed how they were removing the strings. They used a small torch in one hand to burn them off with a wet rag in the other to put out the heat. It leaves a burn mark on the wood but will look fine if painted. Personally I have used small needle nose pliers or a sanding block to remove the strings bc I am not painting the walls - am lightly sanding the entire wall and ceiling and then applying a clear wax coat. Hope this is helpful!

Reply to
Martha Grimes Lampkin

This is the only post I have ever found that addresses the issue of the trim being buried in the drywall. My 1909 had shiplap cheesecloth wallpaper then 3/8 Sheetrock. The beautiful trim had been lost. I’m considering digging it out, shimming is somehow and reinstalling.

Reply to
Jennco