Cheesecake, Not Don Y's 5 hour

Page 2 of 2
On 5/18/2016 8:10 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I do most of the meal prep here, as well (unless we're "fending for ourselves"). But, SWMBO is a slow eater and I can eat standing *at* the stove (i.e., barely dirty a plate). I'll have eaten and cleaned up the kitchen before she finishes!
[Some folks live to eat; I eat to live. How many calories do I need to keep the engine running?]

Sugar and fat -- two things that we seldom encountered together on the evolutionary path. Two things that our bodies seem to want to binge on out of fear they may never encounter it, again! :<
I make fairly large batches of cookies. I.e., the smallest batch I make would be pecan sandies (around 17 dozen). Some of the more ethnic cookies I'll make 100 dozen at a time. But, almost always as giveaways or for some special event (though SWMBO will eat pecan sandies out of the freezer -- they're actually very good, frozen! Like little chips of butter!)
I'm pretty good at making vs. nibbling. Biggest offender is pizzelles as its not uncommon to make a "bad" one (cosmetically). Those get consumed hot off the iron.
[Actually, if you consider them "cookies", that's a small batch as well; usually just 6 dozen as that's 2 hours standing in one place]

Yeah, I can't see what they "save you". I *guess* you could have powdered eggs and powdered milk (ick!). Oil to provide the fat in lieu of butter (another ick -- I don't use oil *in* anything and consider butter to be a sacred food! :> ).
But, invariably, it's "liquid ingredients plus sugar; then add dry". How long does it take to measure out a few dry ingredients and prepackage them in a box?
E.g., for brownies, that would be flour, salt and baking powder. *Maybe* include the sugar as well. But, what about the eggs, butter, and chocolate (the last two of which need to be liquid)? Vanilla? Sour cream? Nuts? I just don't see that you end up saving anything -- but *do* end up "sacrificing" something!
For something like pecan sandies, so much of the mix is butter that I can't see how you could make anything approaching that quality without USING butter.

We used to make pancakes "out of a box" -- just add milk. But, pancakes are so nondescript...

In my case, I have a growing number of diabetic friends. It's hard to find substitutes for sugar -- that aren't ALSO carbohydrates!
E.g., I can reformulate most of my ice cream Rx's to eliminate *most* of the carbs -- at some cost to taste and mouthfeel. But, there's no real way to replace the sugar in a cookie -- that doesn't introduce another carb in its place!
So, it's almost always ice cream that accompanies me to one of their events. And, a non-fruit flavor, at that (most of the fruit flavors carry additional sugars with the fruits). E.g., butter pecan is a favorite (quarter pound of butter in the mix -- in addition to all that heavy cream! X-, )

I think the box mixes have extra leavening agents and tend not to use the heavier fats (butter, sour cream, etc.).
The only cake I make is a "jewish coffee cake". Definitely denser than the air puddings that come out of a box. But, I use a lot of sour cream to help keep it light and moist.

Yes. The appeal of the "chocolate BOX cake" I had in my youth was that you had a fair amount of cake (air pudding) with a thin veneer of fat/sugar. Proportions are important.
Sort of like everyone has a different sense of "proper proportions" for a PB&J -- some folks are heavy on the PB; others on the J. Get outside that "zone" and it's not worth eating! :<

My preferred fat is butter. I.e., the idea of a bagel with cream cheese just seems like a cruel thing to do to a bagel -- before throwing it away!
OTOH, I use "(vegetable) shortening" in my cavatelli; butter just wouldn't fare well. And, margarine in the pizzelles (but in nothing else!) as butter burns too easily.
On 2016-05-18 12:54 PM, Don Y wrote:

It seems like a fair number of males in here (given there aren't many females), do most of the cooking at home, I do also. I do not make a lot of dessert outside of pies, but various meat dishes for the main/only course most nights.
--
Froz....

On 5/18/2016 10:21 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

I think men tend to be more concerned with "meals"; women more concerned with "eating".
Put a time-lock on the kitchen that only opens at meal times and most men would be comfortable. Women, IME, would be squirreling things away to nibble on for those periods when the kitchen is off-limits.
If I locked up the cheese, chocolate, crackers, nuts, etc. SWMBO would be climbing the walls in short order!
I, OTOH, would be happy eating a steak -- even if JUST a steak -- once a day.
On 2016-05-18 2:03 PM, Don Y wrote:

What, how do I get to my beer?

Ayep. :-)

That gives me an idea.

--
Froz....

On 5/18/2016 11:14 AM, FrozenNorth wrote:

It's an EVENT (men), not a PROCESS (women)
On 05/18/2016 10:10 AM, HerHusband wrote:

I like cookies. NOT the "hard a a rock" cookies sold in stores. I'll get then to coke out soft when I bake them (impossible for some people since time is critical [9 minutes good, 10 minutes hard], but worth it).

I seem to remember a story involving an (institutional) kitchen accident with smelly cheese. Someone called it "a feta worse than death".
[snip]

I don't want that. I also don't want any red velvet cake yogurt. Red velvet cake is good cake. YOGURT isn't cake.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 05/17/2016 10:27 PM, Don Y wrote:

One of the drawbacks of living in White Bread Central. When I was in the Boston area saints' day in the North End was always good for calamari salad and canolli. Then you could go watch the old farts drink wine and play bocce.
On 5/18/2016 7:38 PM, rbowman wrote:

True of many towns/villages back east.
E.g., lots of "______ Political Clubs" (fill in the blank with your favorite nationality). AFAICT, just a place where *men* of ________ nationality can get away from their wives to play cards, shoot the sh*t and otherwise lament how tough they're lives are... :>
First set of cannoli tubes I bought were aluminum. Big mistake (doesn't shed heat fast enough!)
The real trick with cannoli is that you can't fill the shells until you are ready to eat them. I mean, REALLY ready to eat them (like NOW!)