Checking Digital Thermostatat Inside Temperature

Page 1 of 2

A friend installed a Honeywell 5+2 Digital Thermostat last weekend. The inside temperature reads 68 and I am trying to check its accuracy. I compared it to two free standing digital thermometers which I balanced on top of the thermostat (at the same time). The thermometers readings range from 69 and 71; to 71 and 71. Any suggestions on determining the *right* temperature are appreciated.
Thank you in advance.
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 03:22:40p, allanc told us...

I have an "antique" alcohol bulb thermometer (which I know to accurate), mounted next to our digital thermostat. They are spot on with each other.
Find a callibrated analog thermometer and compare your thermostat with that.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Where do I find a callibrated analog thermometer that I do not have to 'buy' in order ro check my thermostat?
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 04:21:02p, allanc told us...

Beats me. I don't know any place that's giving them away. I inherited mine, but would buy one if I felt I needed it.
--
Wayne Boatwright

So, what does the average person do that buys a thermostat?
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 04:57:22p, allanc told us...

The "average" person probably doesn't give a damn about a 2-3 degree difference.
In fact, thermostats (either analog or digital) that automatically switch from heating to cooling depending on demand, usually have a 2-3 degree variance or threshhold for that changeover.
If it's that important to you, fork over the money for a calibrated thermometer and check and calibrate your digital thermostat. If the money bothers you, take the damned thing back after you've used it.
Is there a difference between the digital thermometer reading on your thermostat and the digital setting? They are independent of each other.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Sorry, did not mean to upset you. No, the reading and heat setting both are the same.
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 05:15:36p, allanc told us...

You didn't upset me. If I understand correctly, one of the digital thermometers you're testing with is matching the one on your thermostat. One does not match. That's two out of three. I'd go with that and forget about it.
As an aside, I was trying to find an accurate oven thermometer. Looking at them in the store, there weren't any two that showed the same reading. (These were bi-metal spring type thermometers.) I bought five of them, knowing that I might return at least four if not all of them. When I tested them all in the oven, I still got five different readings. I ended up taking them all back and buying a glass tube/bulb thermometer that was guaranteed to be accurate withint +/- 1 degree.
--
Wayne Boatwright

I didn't explain the standalone digital thermometers properly. Sometimes they read the same 71/71 and sometimes not 69/71. I am looking at them right now as they are on my desk. One is 71 and the other is about 72.
When they were on top of the thermostat - they both had higher readings.
One of them is 'progressive' in that the possible temps are on a horizontal display (66->86) in even digits. The current temperature becomes visible as it changes to green. When the temperature is 'odd' (eg 73), both 72 & 74 will be visible. Right now, 72 is green, 74 is light brown and 76 is darker brown. Makes no sense to me. I don't know how else to explain the thermometer and can not think of what the technology is called... LED possibly? I would think that my other digital is also LED.
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 05:57:08p, allanc told us...

That sort is a heat sensitive liquid crystal, but I can't remember the name of it. Those with associated electronics will read a discrete digit, e.g., 72 or 73 or 74.
--
Wayne Boatwright
Turns it up and down to find a comfortable temp, and then no one cares what the number is that makes for comfort. The average person replaces the thermostat four or five times when the furnace stops putting out heat. "After all, it's got to be the thermostat". and then calls the HVAC pro.

I adjust it to the point I feel cool or hot enough. I have access to some devices that are accurate to .01 deg at work and could calibrate my thermostat but it is not worth the trouble.
I had a new heat pump system put in about 2 years ago and found that if I set it to 75 in the summer and 70 in the winter my wife and I are satisfied. I don't really care how hot or cold it is showing on the readout.
On Sun 12 Oct 2008 07:52:00a, Ralph Mowery told us...

There are many people with OCDC that don't know it.
--
Wayne Boatwright
wrote in message

If you have that accurate thermometer why you posting such ridiculer question the average person do not need that accuracy and if you really want to know use human body thermometer isn't that easy solution. tony

Nevermind the expense. What is truth worth to you, man!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

What's wrong with buying a thermometer?
In general, if you want to measure something, you need some sort of measuring equipment. You have a few options: 1. Buy one, new or used. 2. Pay someone else who has one to make the measurement. 3. Find someone who has the tool but will make the measurement for free. 4. Do without.
For this particular application, you could probably use an electronic digital cooking thermometer. I've seen them for less than $10, and they read to a fraction of a degreee. They're probably not *accurate* to a fraction of a degree, but you can check their calibration yourself and compensate for any error. A mixture of ice and water in a vacuum flask, well stirred, is zero degrees C. Water boiling well at sea level is 100 degrees C (and if you're not at sea level, there are tables that will tell you how much the boiling point is reduced by altitude).
    Dave
On Oct 14, 12:15pm, snipped-for-privacy@cs.ubc.ca (Dave Martindale) wrote:

Do you mean that the digital cooking thermometer has some sort of built in calibrator *or* I have to obtain one to calibrate the thermometer? If the later, then why not just calibrate the thermostat with the calibrator that I obtain? Haven't you introduced an extra step?
If you don't have fever put them in your mouth

Not necessarily accurate. Not everyone's body temperature is 98.6F.
On Sat 11 Oct 2008 04:13:43p, Old and Grunpy told us...

--
Wayne Boatwright

For openers make up a mixture of ice and water. Before the ice is all melted check the water temperature. 32F right?
With a normal household thermometer you won't be able to check the boiling point, but the cold test will tell you if the glass is in the right position against the scale.