Check your Windows 10 block settings

I always carry phone for emergencies for like sudden heart attack. Always in my pocket wherever I go, fishing, walking the dog, strolling in the park. In winter I could slip and take a fall, for things like that.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Or, someone who has decided they've "spent too much" (?) and then starts an amusing game with the cashier -- trying to figure out which items they can "leave behind" to adjust their total downward to something with which they are more comfortable.

Of course, they can't do mental arithmetic (else wouldn't have got themselves in this bind -- *addition* being much easier for most than subtraction) so, they can't just ask the cashier how much a particular item (i.e., candidate to be "left behind") costs but must actually have the cashier elide it from the current total, recite the *new*/adjusted price at which time they will select other items to "process", similarly. Along the way, deciding to add some items BACK INTO their purchases as others have brought the total down to a point where they can now "afford" these.

(sigh)

And, we won't get into the ones who blissfully drag a cart FULL of items into the "10 items or less" lane. Then, when challenged, start with a justification along the lines of "I'm 84 years old..." as if their age entitles them to some special treatment. I am sorely tempted to jump in with "OhMiGosh! Then, why are you

*here*?? You'll probably DROP DEAD any second now! Wouldn't you want to do that in the comfort of your own HOME? Surrounded by all your CATS???!" ["god", if I live that long, PLEASE don't let me become one of these olde fartes!]
Reply to
Don Y

I've taken to carry cell phone, for much same reasons. Gives me a good chance of being able to call for help. For me, or for others.

Well, where there is cell service....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My bank was offering a bonus if you made X number of charges less than $10 on your debit card in one month. The idea was to get you in the habit of using them for everything as they get a percentage.

I rarely use plastic for anything less than $100. Sometimes you can get a better deal with cash too!

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Visibility is a factor from what I read. White is very popular in places that get a lot of sun. I'd consider it myself it I was in the hot sunbelt.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

True, even out at my cabin cell works fine in the forest.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As I said previously (and my last comment in this thread), I have no skin in this game. If you think disabling Jscript is The Answer to network exploits, I think you're in for a rude awakening!

Would you like me to send you some INFECTED PDF's? Open them in your EMAIL client -- so your browser isn't even involved.

Then, call me when you get your machine rebooted... ;-)

Reply to
Don Y

When I deal to buy a car, I never tell salesman how I am going to pay 'till final price is reached. If financing is taken I pay the whole balance after couple months. I hate car buying more than house buying.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Our city fire trucks color was changed to bright yellow but now they changed it back to red.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My Discover bill includes a credit report from FICO. It's amusing that the months when I charge something the score goes up 11 or so points.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't buy houses. If it's not on wheels, I'm not interested.

Reply to
rbowman

It's a very free feeling to not know, or care, what my credit score is.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Tony Hwang wrote in news:PNbVx.187166$nK6.49431 @fx31.iad:

And my cell is a lot cheaper and much more useful than one of the popular emergency pendants at ~$30 a month.

Reply to
KenK

SWMBO carries a cell phone "for emergencies" ("Don, I've got a flat tire" "Do we need any linguini for Friday supper?" etc.) She puts $100 of credit on it each year (else she loses any accumulated credit -- or something like that. I think it now has several hundred dollars "on account" as she uses it so little!

OTOH, $8/month (total!) is a small price to pay to be able to make a call in an emergency!

Reply to
Don Y

PagePlus has a prepaid plan for $10 every 120 days on Verizon network. It's 10-cents a minute and minutes rollover. Per minute cost doesn't matter if you're not using them.

I have a Lycamobile phone plan where prepaid minutes don't expire. I put $10 on it two years ago. Must have been too many doing that, becuz, I think they don't offer the non-expire plan any more.

Reply to
mike

Yep - same here. My first personal cell phone was also my retirement cell phone. ~ 4 1/2 years in - $ 500. spent $ 180. remaining. It's an OK little flip phone - still has good battery life. Using a gas station's pay-as-you-go < PetroCanada > which uses the Bell Canada system. Voicemail, cheap texting, and I transferred my long-standing company-cell-phone number when I retired - a big plus at the time ! I haven't heard of any better cell phone options for low-usage. John T

hubops

SWMBO got her phone many years ago when she was making regular trips to Utah -- many parts of that trip have spotty coverage, at best. We did a fair bit of research to find the carrier(s) -- at that time -- that would be able to cover her trip. A phone that gets "no signal" isn't much of a bargain -- esp when the nearest "service station" may be the better part of an hour's drive!

In town, it's almost silly to have one as you can *walk* to a service station or some other "open to the public" business in a pinch.

Reply to
Don Y

Let me do some more research.

Reply to
G. Morgan

| Let me do some more research. |

This seems to cover it:

Enterprise is available as volume license. Even that includes "telemetry". As I understand it, what they mean by that is Windows calling home with usage data. And if you use things like Cortana you're adding to the spying. It won't work otherwise.

I would think that corporate customers would be allowed to control contact more, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There's no indication in what I've read anywhere that there's any reasonable way to even stop the auto-updating outside of a coprorate, multi-license contract, much less the spying. And the auto-updating is being obscured. Microsoft have announced that they'll no longer be detailing what's in an update. So even corporate people who can control the updates would have to reverse engineer them to figure out what they are. And what if a security update is linked to new ads on the Desktop?

It looks like Microsoft have really covered all the angles on this one. As the saying goes, they gotcha coming and going. :)

Mayayana