Check your HVAC surge protector -- fail reports

... water leaks and potential failure.
- Supco SCM 60 and 150 (Sycom)
- 5-2-1 SPD 60 and 150 (CPS products)
-SYC 120/240 T2 (Sycom)
"...There have been reports of surge protector failures in the field. Our investigation concluded that moisture can penetrate the unit causing an electrical issue and potential failure. There is currently no government recall of the surge protectors, but as a precaution, we are removing and replacing all the surge protectors in question. There is no additional cost to our customers."
<http://www.onehourheatandair.com/surgereplacement
Happy landing :)

So, I have a SCM150. It's inside, but I'll check.
Greg

I can't find other links to moisture, but I can find links to FIRE !!!! I'm disconnecting. Actually, I had an older model, lesser amps. It blew one day with a bang. The case did not shatter, but stuff came out the hole.
Thanks for posting. Some hazards on basic PROTECION....
http://www.rbs2.com/fire.htm
Greg

Installed one in my brand new panel last week.

Don't know. In my case of original supressor exploding, it could have been my house that induced the surge. Storm day, lights were dimming and cutting on and off. Air conditioner might have been running. Supressor attached to air conditioner breaker. Breaker shut off during supressor explosion. No other outlet oppressors affected, and I had at least 4 attached around the house.
I.would like o have another 'whole house' supressor installed, and it sure better be metal encased.
The supo type I've seened used in main breaker box on show Holmes on Homes. I do not like the fact it uses stranded wire for breaker use.
Greg
On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 9:09:12 PM UTC-4, Gz wrote:

s.

Lightning is typically 20,000 amps. So a minimal 'whole house' protector s hould be at least 50,000 amps. No protector should fail during a direct lig htning strike or other surge. If its indicator light reports a failure, th at protector was grossly undersized. Replacement may need be larger. Each layer of protection is only defined by what a protector connects to - earth ground. A protector in the breaker box should be quite effective due to earth ground rods connected low impedance (ie less than 10 feet away) b y a hardwire (a bare copper, quarter inch copper wire).
Each layer of protection is only defined by what harmlessly absorbs hundred s of thousands of joules - earth ground. Above only discusses 'secondary' protection. Also inspect your 'primary' surge protection layer. A picture demonstrates what to inspect: http://www.tvtower.com/fpl.html
Protection is only provided by what harmlessly absorbs hundreds of thousand s of joules. No protector does that. An effective protector is only a conn ecting device wired low impedance (no sharp wire bends) to earth ground. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. That is protection duri ng each surge. 50,000 amps defines protector life expectancy over many sur ges.
No protector should ever fail catastrophically like that. Either is was gr ossly undersized, not properly earthed, or a 'primary' protection layer was missing.

In my area, outside disconnect boxes are not the norm. Might be required for new installations.
Greg

Seemed expensive at the time. When I moved in 10 years ago, they asked if I wanted to keep the installed surge device. I said no. I never had notice of them uninstalling anything, never noticed anything. The old homeowners were cheap. I think it was scammy deal.
Greg